Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Mud Guards-Worth it?

19K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Jared_N 
#1 ·
Not the most exciting topic but-I recently bought a new '05 XT. I don't plan to ever off road it (I have something else for that). I have been holding off on mud guards since the area behind the front and rear wheels is plastic which in my experience is pretty durable. However, I'd sure like some opinions regarding whether they are worth it or not. Also, I know the holes to mount them are pre-drilled in the fender. Do the mud guards come with the mounting holes pre-punched? Thanks!

#2 ·
Mudguards - a thumb's up!!

I can certainly attest that they do cut down the amount of crud thrown along the side of the car and also reduces the crud that sticks to the rear hatch due to the low pressure area behind the car.

We get crud on the road due to lots of low water crossings and soil washed across the road here in the Hill Country. When I do take out my BMW 5er during bad weather, I can guarantee it has more crap all over it at the end of the ride than the Subie does/would!

#21 ·
I can certainly attest that they do cut down the amount of crud thrown along the side of the car and also reduces the crud that sticks to the rear hatch due to the low pressure area behind the car.
Yes I agree - even here in Singapore with some of the cleanest roads in the world there used to be plenty of crap on the sides of my car after driving in the rain. The problem's been almost completely solved after fitting some rally armor mudflaps.

In my last car, which did not have mudflaps, I drove over a road which was in the process of being paved and had tar marks on the side of the car for years after that.

Plus they look great! :Banane17:

#3 ·
I think they help keep the mud off the side of the car. Also don't forget that they will also help minimize your chances of picking up a small stone and cracking the windscreen of the person behind you. We are not the only ones on the road and it's always a good idea to be courteous to other drivers too. More than once in my life I've gotten a rock thrown at me from a car in the front that would have been prevented had they had some sort of rear mud flap.

G
#4 ·
Mud Guards - Looking to get them

Am looking to fit these myself. I'm no offroader but have noticed that even in normal traffic a lot of mud gets chucked up along the sills of the car, a fair chunk of this then gets transfered to my trousers when I get out of the car. Not a major problem when I'm walking the dog but a major pain when in a suit for work!

G
#5 · (Edited)
mslasube said:
Not the most exciting topic but-I recently bought a new '05 XT. I don't plan to ever off road it (I have something else for that). I have been holding off on mud guards since the area behind the front and rear wheels is plastic which in my experience is pretty durable. However, I'd sure like some opinions regarding whether they are worth it or not. Also, I know the holes to mount them are pre-drilled in the fender. Do the mud guards come with the mounting holes pre-punched? Thanks!
They are worth it. No doubt. Putting on the mud guards was my first "mod". Wether they are necessary or not depends on your driving habits I guess. For me it is comforting not having to worry that much when doing som inspired driving on gravel.
Also they are very easy to fit. No drilling or cutting. Took about an hour to install. Highly recommended!

//Zeb

#10 ·
I have a set in Crystal Grey Metallic in stock (accidental order)...willing to offer free shipping in the lower 48...

They fit '03-present (although CGM wasn't around for the first couple of years).

Price $65.00

#11 ·
Roo said:
I have a set in Crystal Grey Metallic in stock (accidental order)...willing to offer free shipping in the lower 48...

They fit '03-present (although CGM wasn't around for the first couple of years).

Price $65.00
I sent you a pm-my'05 fxt IS Crystal Grey Mettalic!

#13 ·
psklenar said:
I bought my '04 XS without them and added them w/in only month into my first winter. Hated seeing all the crap being thrown up against the body siding. :(

i recommend them!
Yup, same for me. I got them in December (after getting the car at the end of August) and the car seems much cleaner with them. Plus, it was a good use of my first SubaruBucks certificate. :D

Click http://adamhartfield1937.fotopic.net/p25309885.html to see a mediocre picture of them.

#17 ·
Xantia56 said:
Am looking to fit these myself. I'm no offroader
If you were into offroading you would not want mudflaps - at least not long floppy ones. I had them on my last vehicle and I made the classic mistake of getting bogged and then backing up over my own mudflap. Pulled the bodywork out of shape before the mudflap tore off :-(

Fortunately the metal wasn't creased and I bent it right back using a handy branch I found nearby :)

I wouldn't do that sort of off-roading in the Forester, but anyway it has put me off mudflaps. After that I used to tie them up out of harms way for off-roading.

-- Steve

#18 ·
Mud flaps

My 06 came with them as it was part of the package and that was one of the four must haves for me. Then I bought three more options...
I think they make the Forester look more SUV-like with them on. They also keep the side cleaner. Washington State actually has a law requiring mud flaps on all SUVs and trucks. I'm not sure how much they inforce it, and with the Forester being a gray-area between a car and a SUV in the trooper's opinion, who knows. Better to have them I guess. All in all, they just look damn nice on the vehicle!:cool:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.