Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked the oil level on my 2009 Forester manual transmission. I did this while the engine was completely cold (and obviously non running). The level is right the L mark on the dipstick. Is this proper? The owner's manual says to fill it to the upper level, but makes no distinction as to hot or cold.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,577 Posts
If you were level and it was cold you'll be OK. I'd probably add some though.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Thanks adc. I just got the car back a week ago from the dealer 7500 mile maint. That included an oil change and check of all fluids. After the maint and driving ~30 mi I was smelling burning oil, so I crawled under the car and saw that oil was leaking from my oil filter onto the exhaust. I have since gone back to the dealer and they replaced the oil filter and hopefully that eliminated the leak. That experience prompted me to check my other fluids. I had never checked the MT oil -- As I said it was reading right at the 'L'. Also, my coolant level was right on the 'L'. Both readings were taken with the car cold. I had expected that those 2 readings would be at 'F', having just had the dealer 7500 mile maint.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Check it hot after sitting for five or ten minutes, and make sure the car is level. Residential garage floors are rarely true level, they usually have some slope toward the overhead door for drainage. If you need to top it up Supertech Synthetic Blend 75W90 GL5 Gear Oil @ Wal Mart will work. I am running the Supertech Sythetic Blend gear oil right now, used it for my manual trans oil change and rear differential oil change. Feels the same as the factory oil as far as shifting goes. Anyhow, it would be a cost effective choice for topping up, compatible with all gear oils. Don't top up the manual transmission with any gear oil that contains Limited Slip friction modifiers. Some do, some don't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts