Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Forester (with manual transmission) is rather difficult to get in reverse. Most times, before I can back up, I have to put the shfter in neutral, let the clutch out and try again before I can get the shifter all the way into reverse. Sometimes I have to repeat this several times. Is this typical of the Forester MT?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
Not abnormal, can also try bumping it into 4th gear then reverse.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
I had an old Honda civic that had this issue, and occasionally my Subaru doesn't like going into reverse. With the engine on, put the transmission in 1st gear, pull the clutch out just enough to barely nudge the car forward, then push the clutch all the way in. Change from 1 to R and it should just slide right in.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
I'm at 21k kilometers and it JUST got easier around 18000. Still notchy at times but vastly improved.

·
Registered
1973 VW Super beetle
2 Posts
Wow so i am not the only 09 mt owner with this issue. My fiance was trying to tell me i don't know how to drive!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Shift to 4th, then to Reverse. Works every time.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT
48 Posts
my 2010 FXT and my girlfriends 2005 X both have this issue from time to time. Seems its a Subaru "feature" :biggrin:

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
wow glad to see I'm not the only one. Oh and UNlike every other manual trans I've driven the 4th then reverse doesn't seem to help on mine. For the Forester it seems 2nd then reverse works better.

Like stated above on most MT if you shift into 4th first it seems to line every thing up and then you can shift into reverse easier but this doesn't seem to be the case on the Forester, well mine at least.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Same issue with the 6-speed

... especially when the box is cold. A few tests has mentioned the same thing. Tight to get into 2-nd as well as reverse. As soon as the oil warms up, the problem is gone.

M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts