Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autocross - HPDE - MotorSports North East will be hosting their first auto-x of the year @ the meadowlands this sunday! w/ the construction of the new stadium means a brand new lot w/ fresh pavement - OH YEAH!

they actually have 2 events, an AM and PM. the AM session is already full, but the afternoon session is still open. preregister asap to save a spot! get there by 12:30-1, first car off @ 2pm. pretty cool, for the guys who hate to wake up early...

ill be there keeping the fozzy hope alive :biggrin:

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
new2scooby is now prereg'd as well! so far 2 fozzys, any1 else? cmon there has to be a jersey guy or 2 interested...

signup now b4 it gets filled up!

·
Registered
2005 9-2x Aero Manual
343 Posts
My friend finally convinced me to try it, so I'm signed up. I had to do the PM slot though, since I have somewhere to be Saturday night that will run really late.

I know it's not as cool since I'm no longer driving an FXT, but at least I'm still in the Subie family. I'm trying to convince my friend with an 09 WRX to join as well, so that I'll have somebody else with no experience to make me feel less dumb.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome! well just look for me @ the event. ill give you a crash course and pointers during the walk through! youll have a ton of fun! i dont know where ill be because its a new venue for me too, but look for the only foresters and my green pop-up tent. ill try to save a parking spot for ya so you can leave whatever extra stuff you have in our pit area...

btw what class did you sign up in? is your name paul c?

·
Registered
2005 9-2x Aero Manual
343 Posts
awesome! well just look for me @ the event. ill give you a crash course and pointers during the walk through! youll have a ton of fun! i dont know where ill be because its a new venue for me too, but look for the only foresters and my green pop-up tent. ill try to save a parking spot for ya so you can leave whatever extra stuff you have in our pit area...

btw what class did you sign up in? is your name paul c?
yup, that's me. i'll be able to pick out your forester no problem, so i'll definitely find you. i signed up for b class, that's what my friend told me i should be in. i haven't done much with the car, i've got the rce blacks that i just installed a few weeks ago, and i need to install my steering rack bushings on saturday, because i have an appointment for an alignment on monday.

i'm actually likely to be horribly out of alignment, because i'll have done both springs and steering rack bushings with no alignment yet. i'm also running the crappy stock dunlaps with 15k miles on them. not the best setup, but i'm figuring i wouldn't be competitive my first time out regardless, so i might as well go get some seat time anyhow.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea im unsure of how their classing works myself, i just saw all the subies in UU and signed up there. im going to ask a few officials what the deal w/ that is and adjust my class if neccesary. i love the RCE blacks, i run them myself and they are perfect!

believe it or not the dunlops arent that bad of a tire either... and your first event is all about seat time anyways. im sure you have some skills from track days. its a different learning curve as opposed to being smooth and clean, auto-x is more about throwing the car around and quick turns. youll be fine though, cya on sunday!

just read the "autocross manual" on the rules page. itll really help w/ the lingo and rules!

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
car is packed up, im going to gas up in the morning and meet new2scooby on the LIE @ ~10:30-11am. cya there!

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
as you saw jimmy, the meadowlands is a HUGE donkey LOT. and it was sooooo smooth, it was autox heaven. thanks for coming by and showing some support, and more importantly taking us for pizza in the loaner legacy! we really appreciated it! also nice seeing you again paul, i hope you had a good first outing. looked like you were having fun @ least! i came in 6th out 17 cars in class. and all 5 of those cars were heavy hitters, so i was pleased. my FTD was 56.865, FTD for the session was a 52.xxx by former pro-stu sti driver, jake namer - who is a national champion. infact all the top 5 were amazing drivers!

here are some shots/vids... unfort my girl only got me, saad and gj. i told her to go easy, cus i was sick of sifting thru 500+ shots. next time ill be sure to tell her to get all of us...

pics: msne pictures by wrxtremewgn - Photobucket

vids:
my ftd
YouTube - PICT0006.AVI

going offcourse, pushed to hard thru first slalom, tires just washed away...
YouTube - PICT0004.AVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDgotrFQgX0

·
Registered
2005 9-2x Aero Manual
343 Posts
It was a good time, glad I came out. I'll definitely make it out again sometime soon, I want to see how well I can do after learning to read a course better. I felt like I couldn't push the car hard enough because instead of thinking about driving I had to worry about figuring out where the actual course was. I guess you get used to reading the cones and staying on course after a bit. I did at least manage to knock 3 secs off my horrible times on my last run. Would have loved to get a couple of more runs though. I have to say I felt much better after working the 2nd heat and seeing half the people go off course, some multiple times. I actually did go off myself, skipping a whole slalom.

I had a great view of your runs from station 2 Adam, you looked real smooth. You're representing the Forester community well.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
glad you had fun, thats what is all about! being competitive comes w/ time, its more satisfying to shave off time from the beginning of the day in my eyes! im still waiting for the results to be posted...

next event @ giants stadium will be 5/16. check my auto-x thread in the motorsports forum for all dates and all venues!

·
Registered
2005 9-2x Aero Manual
343 Posts
I saw they posted results yesterday. I only checked to make sure I wasn't the worst one out there, and was pleased to see that I was far from alone in my terrible-ness :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
63.2 wasnt bad @ all. your times were going down consitantly, if we would have just gotten 2 more runs...

your buddy was pretty quick too!

·
Registered
2005 9-2x Aero Manual
343 Posts
yup, i'm happy enough with that for my first time out. definitely would have liked to see if i could have improved more with a couple of more runs. looking forward to giving it another shot.

my friend has a god amount of experience, he started years ago, but slacked for the last year or so. he used to have a mini, the 135i is only a few months old. that was his second time out in the 135i, so he is still getting used to the switch from fwd to rwd. i keep telling him he is getting ripped off, you wouldn't buy a dog with only 2 working legs, but you got sold a car with 2 working wheels.

we like to talk crap to each other for fun, it's good to have some friendly competition. i'm motivated to get some driving skills so i can eventually beat him, but i need a lot more seat time to get there. i was able to take him in the emra time trials at summit point by a sec, my sti to his mini (a few weeks after i got my sti back in october). but i have to admit it was because i made up a lot of time on the straights. his 135i took out my power advantage, so now it's just driver vs driver, and i need to work on my skills to keep up.

we're both i'm signed up for the nasa limerock hpde this month on the 30th, if anybody's interested. i'll probably try to join you at the next msne autox in may too.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FYI- registration is already open for the 5/16 event and the AM session is almost full already. prereg asap, you can always unregister to hold a spot!

·
Registered
2012 Mazda2 sloppy 5 with imaginary 6th
302 Posts
Hell yeah came in 12 out of 17... I WASN'T LAST!

you all need to come out. No where else will you have soo much fun!

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is there an end to the Auto X season? I definitely want to try it out sometime this year.
im not sure about your local clubs since you are in virginia. just looked it up, checkout www.autocross.us. it has all of the events/clubs in your local area.

Hell yeah came in 12 out of 17... I WASN'T LAST!

you all need to come out. No where else will you have soo much fun!
haha! you need to dust off those cobb webbs. your getting faster, just need to read the course better so you can concentrate on driving!

ill start a new thread when its closer to the actual event!

·
Registered
2005 9-2x Aero Manual
343 Posts
thanks for the heads up adam, i just registered for 5/16 morning. def worth holding the spot just in case. sent my friend george a message to register also.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i dont know how you feel about another track day, but there is a monticello day on 5/4 and 5/5 (weekday events) for $135 w/ comssc! the deadline for registration is the 20th. LMK whatcha think!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts