Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited auto CVT
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a trip. Round trip Winchester, OR - Lincoln City, OR via the coast route. Got 36.7 MPG according to the gas mileage display. Also, each time I fill up, the display indicates 400 miles or more to go on that tank of gas. I can't complain. Guess I'm lucky. 2018 Forester Limited 2.5 with CVT. :smile2:

·
Registered
14 FXT Prem CVT
69 Posts
Those are good numbers, even if the computer is off by a little... Perhaps every car is different, but my trip computer was consistently showing about 2 mpg higher than actual.

I couldn't figure out why my tank was running out so soon while my computer's mpg was so high, so on a couple of 1800 mile drives (SF to Tucson and back), I calculated it by the miles driven vs number of gallons to fill the tank, at each refill, and yeah, ended up my computer showed 30 mpg, but by the actual 'gallons to full' vs. miles traveled, it was actually 28. Mine is an XT.

I learned quickly that cruise control pulls down gas mileage, for me. Using the "green bar" on my trip computer to modulate speed vs throttle input for max fuel efficiency worked great. Was a fun little 'game' to play on the long drives, too.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,319 Posts
Going from a 2010 Forester with a 4AT to a 2018 Forester with a CVT, my fuel economy increased 30%. Once when I filled up my 2018 the display showed a range of 600 miles. I never got anything near that in the end result. Think I read in the manual that the projected range is based upon your mpg for the last 19 miles (or something like that) driven prior to fill up.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,918 Posts
@cafecraig - If you could believe your dash display... but the only way to really tell is by calculation... Fill up.. drive.. fill up.. divide miles by gallons.
The manual will also tell you the computer mileage readout is an estimate, not an actual.
Especially with the Foz, your mileage is seriously speed dependent - If you keep it under 60 or so, you will get a LOT better mileage than driving at 75 or 80.
No stopping (and starting) is a big difference too.
Driving at less than highway speeds on back roads without traffic I can get 35 mpg, and it isn't luck.

·
Registered
14 FXT Prem CVT
69 Posts
@DragonSubie7 Yeah, for sure, getting the best gas mileage is a learned process with these cars.

I was able to get my 28mpg on long drives by keeping speed at 78. Over 78, it dropped off. To your point of stopping and starting (very true), when I was climbing hills I had to keep the throttle input steady and lose speed; then when descending, no throttle, just "coast," and then just before the bottom of the hill, start easing in with the throttle carefully to maintain speed as the horizon came back to flat. I watch the LCD green bar more than I do my speedo when I am focused on miles per gallon. Gets me from SF to Tucson with only one refueling stop along the way, and that was via the 5 freeway/Grapevine. I stop around Indio/Palm Desert. That said, strong headwinds, heavy traffic/accidents, and the plan is toast. SF to Phoenix is easy with one stop though (stop for gas in San Bernardino).

Most of my driving is city or stop-and-go traffic on Fwy. My ability to drive over 50 or 60 mph daily (in any car) is fairly limited, simply for lack of opportunity. In my area (15 mile radius), windows for freeway speeds are 11am-1pm and 7pm-5am on weekdays, and before 10 or after 7pm on weekends. Otherwise, it's a two or three open miles and then you hit stop-and-go. I hardly ever go 15 miles away from where I live. It's just not worth the trouble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts