Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forrester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are several tire threads, but I am looking for someones opinoin if I should get snow tires and summer tires or just a good alls seasons tires. I am moving to Syracuse NY soon. I currently live in PA and get some snow, but nothing to bad and my all season tires have done just great. I am a just not sure what to do for Syracuse since there will be a lot more snow.

Thanks for all your input.

Tim

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
How much will you be driving in the snow and on what sort of roads? (in the city or the surounding area?). In rochester my first winter I used continental contiextremecontacts (replaced by the DWS recently) and put about 15,000 miles on them over the winter. They performed nearly as well as cheap snow tires in -most- situations, however braking distance was pretty long and it was really optimal. I ended up getting a set of firestone winterforce tires studded (215/65/16) and have been using those since for the winter and went to a 17" setup for summer. If you have a place to store the 2nd set of wheels and tires I would definitely do it! If you're going to be in syracuse for school or something and won't really have room, look at some of the more winter biased all seasons like the continental extremecontact DWS or something similar.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
I can tell you from experience with the area in winter, you WILL need winter tires up there, they get massive lake effect snow.:Banane35:

·
Registered
2003 Forrester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to be working in Syracuse and I am looking at homes about 0-30 miles south of Interstate 90. I will have a place to store the extra tires. So what is the best tire for the Syracuse region.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
Locals hopefully can tell you more, but I visit and pass thru there regularly.

Syracuse is CURSED with 2 storm tracks:
First is from the direct west, most that comes across from Buffalo, hits there.
ALSO the storms that come from the south hit the Pocono Mts, then head north up I-81.

I have headed across the Thruway I-90, only to see and pass thru a storm about 30 miles wide centered at Syracuse.

Worst part, ICE ..... I have been there many times when overnight, everything becomes ice covered. And twice when we had to wait until after 11am until the roads were deemed passable.

I would definitely recommend dedicated winter tires, ones with a good ice rating. And don't look at the way they wear. If they get you safely thru a winter, the price paid was worth it.

·
Registered
2003 Forrester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for Budget, I really want something safe, but at the same time I dont want to waste money on a name. So Safety first then cost.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
If you don't mind the noise I would go for some studded firestone winterforce. Even with studs they're cheaper than most others and they perform AMAZING, also they last for what seems like forever.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
+1 on winterforce studded. Just swapped mine on this morning in prep for our first storm rolling in tonight. They work great in deep snow to light snow and the studs make it great on ice.

·
Registered
2003 Forrester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What size tire do you guys run? I am planning on getting another set of rims so rims size is flexable.

Tim

·
Registered
2003 Forrester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also seen a lot about Bridgestone Blizzak WS60. Has any tried/used these tires? Also on the studded tires how long do the studs last? Can you get them restudded? I have never had studded tires so any info on them would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Sports XT
45 Posts
I just put Nokian WRG2s. I run 215/55/17s so I did not have a lot of options - everything seemed to run around 140-170 per tire.

I am going to pull them in the summer. I considered the Blizzak but I didn't like the fact that they wear faster and lose their winter rating when they get down to the wear bars.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
If I were moving to Syracuse, I think I would have bought an FJ Cruiser. Nonetheless, I do have to drive in snow, and the posts on Winterforce studded tires are intriguing...
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
+1 Studded winter tires are loads better then some all season tires.
Gather from what's been said. Good winter tires are the way to go. Studs will help alot. Good luck :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
cost winterforce studded

Whoa, nellie! Just looked at prices for these tires at Tirerack, good price but...extra for studs, then $220 for 4 steel wheels (okay), $32 for wheel covers (sheesh) and a *** $124 for TPMS sensors to be installed in the tires! Yikes...and they won't balance the tires for you unless you buy the sensors.
What's the sensible thing to do? Go w/out sensors for the winter? Have the installer swap out the sensors in the OEM tires? Or bite the bullet and buy the damn things???
I know auto technology has done some wonderful things, but i recall my Dad's 1971 Chrysler Newport braving many a winter storm on studded snows w/ nary a sensor to be paid for....
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 Premium Crappy 4EAT
254 Posts
Tirerack prices, huh?

Steve,

I am in the process of putting together a snow tire / wheel combo and you can get them balanced w/o the sensors. there is an option to not include the sensors. I am going with alloys since they are the same price (actually a little cheaper) than stealies with covers. Now the shipping on the other hand, that is $$$

Oh, to the original poster. I live on the border with Quebec, NY and Vermont and can assure you that some good snows (winterforce has been pulling my 2005 for going on 5 winters now) will get you through the NY winters. as for the comment about the FJ cruiser? Forget about it! The subie with good snows is an amazing machine, without the 2+ tons of weight to drag around. Last winter, I saw 3 FJ's in the ditch along either 90 or 87. I am sure this is due to stupidity, but once you get a behemoth of a vehicle going the wrong way, it is hell to get it back on track!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts