Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just bought my first handheld GPS unit a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx for my outdoor adventuring needs as well as car navigation. I really want to be able to mount my new GPS unit in my 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5X. I was wondering if anyone else here has mounted handheld GPS units into their Foresters and what they have discovered works the best? There are several mounting brackets that Garmin offers, the too most popular being a dashboard mounting bracket and a windshield suction cup mounting bracket. Has anyone ever mounted this or a similar unit in their Subaru before. The best place for it for viewing and access is directly to the right and just outside of the "combination meter" area, you know the area that contains all the cars meters, odometers, speedometer, etc. However, I realize the safety issue with this placement, being that if the airbag deployed it would no doubt throw the mouting off, and possibly in an accident cause it to become a dangerous flying object. Any suggestions that anyone may have would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.

Jonathan
Albuquerque, NM

·
Registered
23 Posts
That Pro-fit unit looks nice and secure, except it would be pretty far out of driver's line of sight if you're trying to eyeball it while driving. Probably better set up for a passenger/co-driver to keep an eye on it there.

My gf has a Garmin unit that we use on rallys. She has the suction cup mount that she sticks over on the right hand corner on the top of dash. However, that suction cup seems to have a tendency to let go and come crashing down. We're not sure if it's changes in altitude/temperature that might effect it or what. Anyway, for the few times we use it in the car, we just deal with the suction cup issues. If you're looking for something more permanent/secure, you'd want to move beyond the suction cup, I think.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,011 Posts
I have a Garmin Vista C that I mount in my car. I tried the suction cup method but it never held long. I ended up buying a cell phone mount that hooks to the air vents and I modified it to hold my GPS. I spent less than $10, it mounts in a good visable location and I can remove it in seconds.

·
Administrator
14,720 Posts
I have a navman PiN 570 and I've attached the cradle arm right in the centre of the dash compartment lid then right angled the gooseneck back towards the cabin so that it sits just above the clock. That way the passengers get to see what's going on as well. My advantage here is that I'm generally ambidextrous and usually write with my left hand. Or should that be left with my write hand?
I found that it was too far away if attached to the centre of the windscreen.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I've got the Pro-fit in the Tacoma in an almost identical position to that shown for Foresters. It does place the GPS a bit out of the way, but it is very secure. However, it's useless for the passenger due to the angle (not clearly shown in the photo). Antenae reception is a bit poor, since there the roof blocks the built-in antenae on the GPS, and blocks several of the satellites. You can always add an external antenae, but then that is just another thing to buy, and to unplug from the GPS everytime you leave the car (I don't feel comfortable leaving it in plain sight, waiting to get stolen).

On the Forester I used Garmin's auto mount kit. It comes with the base that uses 2-sided tape to mount, and I mounted it right in the center of the dash, on the compartment cover. The Garmin multi-position thingy works okay, but allows a lot of bounce and vibration. This is a much better position for antenae reception than the Pro-Fit. I'll probably stick with this position, but get a more rigid holder.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Must be a very low resolution camera ....1 mini pixle

(bad joke I know)

Edit: I did see it earlier tho!

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
My 'Shane style' (ORS.com) mount, cheap, easy, bouncy (may upgrade material some time), but it works.;)

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
For a handheld GPS unit getting a windshield mount would be best so the unit has more of a view of the sky. As for profit. Their stuff is good. I the forester specific prokit mount for my amateur radio in the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts

I use a simple and cheap cellphone standard.
on long trips I connect it to the laptop navigating with nroute

And on the mountianbike trip in Crete (Greece)

JE

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Here's my install in MY99 forester, it was pretty challenging to get all the
trim pieces worked out but I'm glad I took the time to construct it :p

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the insight everyone, keep it coming. I am definatly looking for something more permanent. Obviously I want to be able to easily remove and mount my GPS in my car, but I do not mind if the mounting aparatus is a permanent device, because i know i will regularly use the gps while i am driving. Also i dont really care if the passengers can see it or not, its mainly for me the drive to find my way, if the passenger want to look at it they can hold it themselves, they're the ones with free hands. I don't mind spending money either since I want to get the most out of my unit I want the mounting to be top of the line, whatever that means. I just want something like the Sirius mounts that ive seen where you drill a hole in the dash for the mount to screw into. Regardless, I appreciate any ideas anyone can offer. Thanks.
Jonathan

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beware the "convenience" outlet

I use a Garmin StreetPilot 2720 in my shiny new 06 FXT MT. I hate to admit it, but until I got used to the Shiny New Clutch that came with the FXT, I killed the engine a couple of times. :)

I've noticed two annoying things about the cigarette lighter outlet. First, it's switched with the ignition key. Turn the car off and the outlet is off too. Second, when you stall the engine, the starter will suck enough power to interrupt the lighter outlet. This made those Clutch Incidents even MORE embarassing. The Garmin has to go through a power-cycle reboot. Sigh.

Oh yes, what do you want to be the rear "convenience" outlet is also switched? I'll bet that's going to make using any 12v accessory in the hatch area fun.

·
Registered
04 XT Auto
298 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of my Navman setup.

The power adaptor cable is routed through the dash to the coin holder so that the cable is out of sight when not in use. The adaptor itself sits in the passenger side inner console pocket when not in use.

The PDA is mounted using a suction-cup and arm arangement near the drivers side a-pillar. This position was chosen as it does not obscure any vision of the road itself (just a bit of the fender) and was 'approved' as a good and legal position by a traffic cop that I know.

Rob.

Attachments

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another alternative, similar to soobdo's mounting location, is to use some 2-3 mm aluminium strapping (I cut up a hard disk adapter I had kicking around), bend it to the desired angle, and the double-stick tape it into the gap between the vent and the top of the dash.

The section with the vent in it CAN be removed, with a hell of a lot of stuffing about with a philips head stub driver, and reaching up from under the steering wheel. I mounted my car kit this way, so I do not need to take my eyes too far off the road in order to see who is calling, and answer the phone...

Once I buy a GPS, I will mount it in the same manner, but with the second bracket pointing upwards, to enable satellite reception...

The second beauty of mounting this way, is that I still retain full function of all air vents in the car...

Cheers,

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I have a Magellan Meridain Gold. I use the windshield, suction cup
mount. It has never come off. It puts your GPS where it can get max.
coverage. It makes it easy to read.
It was mounted there for the week we were in Sedona and the GPS
was in/out all the time. It never came off.
With the backlite on, it makes it really easy to read at night.
When I mount it I always apply a film of good old fashion spit.
It is easy to move the unit from vehicle to vehicle.

Hope this helps. pepperblues

1 - 20 of 59 Posts