Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,497 Posts
I climbed it 10 years before. Got off in the nick of time (by geological standards).

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I was 5 at the time but I still vividly remember May 18th 1980. We were camping about 100 miles north of Mt. St Helens, near Mt. Rainier and we actually heard the mountain erupt. My uncle thought it was some miners or something, but then reports came in over the radio that St. Helens was erupting. My Uncle and all his hunting/camping buddies jumped in there trucks and we hurried up some logging roads to a high ridge and we were able to watch St. Helens erupt for several hours. The power of the ash cloud and the lightning it made were just amazing and it is something I will never forget.

Two years ago we had a Forester meet/campout near St. Helens and made a drive over to the observatory. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f67/pnw-spring-08-gtg-st-helens-32457/
I've also hike the summit and snowboarded back down several times over the past 15 years.

·
Registered
2007 FXT Sports ugm
70 Posts
It was my 13th B-day and I went with a friend and his father out to Couer d' Alene Horse track when the ash cloud came in. His father stopped at a tavern on the way back to Spokane and had a couple and a sixer to go. We drove I-90 back in a little Dodge Colt following semi's in all the ash we couldn't see a thing. It was quite a scare since it took us nearly 3hrs to drive 30 miles. The ash stayed around for months and ruined my record collection. I miss all my Kiss records :icon_frown:

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
There's a show about Mt. St. Helens at 8 EDT tonight on NH Public TV. I don't know whether that's a national or a local schedule. YMMV!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I remember that. I was sixteen. Here in the bay area, Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurants gave away souvenir containers of volcano ash. Does anyone remember that :)

·
Registered
2009 cts-v 6 speed smg
764 Posts
I remember that. I was sixteen. Here in the bay area, Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurants gave away souvenir containers of volcano ash. Does anyone remember that :)

Ill have to look but I believe I still have one! I was 11 and my dad got some and when he passed I found them Ill have to choke back some tears and look through his stuff...

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
The TV program was interesting. After a bit of an intro, it shifted into describing what's happened since, and what both geology and biology have learned (and speculated about). Our only complaint was that it treated St. Helens as if it were the only mountain in the Cascades. There was no mention of any further insight that might have developed regarding the rest of this highly volcanic range, despite the fact that you could occasionally see other peaks looming in the background.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
I was 3 yrs old looking out the living room window and I remember seeing the ash all over the cars in the Portland area. That's all I remember

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,938 Posts
I was in my late twenties then & it was the worst thing I've ever experienced! The ash was thick & it was like driving in a snow storm white out! The ash fall was so heavy here in Newberg, OR. that it would plug the house gutters! I strongly believe the fine ash did in the vehicle I had back then. I don't ever want to experience that again! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts