Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
'09 X
380 Posts
Not much else to add to the great info already given other than, cost protective gear into the price of the bike. It is expensive but not worth riding without it. A set of leathers is cheaper (and less painfull) than a skin graft. Also do your experimenting and pushing of limits on a track. Track days are great fun as well as educational. The added bonus is no oncoming traffic, kerbs, trees etc!!

My only off (so far :icon_confused:) was at the track. I didn't make it around a corner, off the track into the "kitty litter" and flipped off. Leathers and helmet were nicely scuffed.
I have been bikeless since 02 but am looking to get a commuter pretty soon (SV650, Yamaha Fazer or something similar)

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
826 Posts
ahh , an organ donors thread .....
You are mistaken. Motorcyclists who do not wear helmets are the organ donors, as they usually expire due to traumatic head injury, yet leave most of their organs intact. Personally, I won't go around the block without my helmet on; for general riding, I'm usually in full leathers, even in the heat of August.

I've also applied to be a part-time MSF instructor for PA. I applied a few years ago, and went the their orientation briefing, but my regular work schedule wouldn't allow it at the time. Now I work day shift, mon-fri like normal folk, so I re-applied. Teaching people to ride on the weekends (for MONEY!) sure beats cruising the city streets when I can't afford a trip out of town.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,365 Posts
Personally, I won't go around the block without my helmet on; for general riding, I'm usually in full leathers, even in the heat of August.
Same here. I've ridden in 90F weather with full gear on. I always tell my ":icon_rolleyes:" friends - If you think it's hot now, wait til you slide on the asphalt.

It just feels right with full gear. Confidence-inspiring; knowing that if you should go down, it wouldn't be as bad without full protection.

Another thing I often see is riding without gloves. Yikes.... I couldn't do it. Tried once, and it felt extremely sketchy. I think I like my digits intact. LOL

·
Premium Member
2004 Subaru Forester STI Widebody, Cobb Everything, Full Suspension, Big Turbo, Brembo Brakes, Full Exhaust, Cobb V2, 6 spd
87 Posts
Everyone at Cars and Coffee Las Vegas loved my Dual Bottle Nitrous Express Drag Chopper I rolled thru on this weekend in the Shelby American Collection museum parking lot Sadly did not get this kind of welcome reception the last 2 times I rolled thru with my Fozzie STI. My drag bike was feeling like Clint Eastwood in a cowboy movie LOL ......... outnumbered and still not worried because he's WAY faster than everyone else LOL 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😎

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester
124 Posts
To anyone considering:
First and foremost, take the MSF Class. Your life could depend on it.
Second, wear a helmet, a good riding boot, and gloves ( duh ).
Third, you will soon begin to realize a 250cc isn't going to cut it... whatever you do stay away from sport bikes get a VTwin in the 600+ range.

Suggested first bikes: Honda VLX 600, Honda Phantom 750

Great bikes, look good, handle well.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts