Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester STI Manual
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else heard of this?

According to my insurer, it can take up to a week for the MID to be updated when you move an insurance policy from one vehicle to another mid-term.

I collected my Forester on Tuesday of this week, and I called my insurer one week in advance (Tuesday 12th) to confirm I needed the policy switching over, from the Impreza, and cover on the new vehicle should start from midday on Tuesday 19th. I got it home Tuesday night, drove it to work and back yesterday, only to discover that as of yesterday evening it was not showing as insured on the MID; the Impreza (against which the policy was originally set up) still was, however.

I called my insurer, spoke to the same customer service fellow from last week and asked him about it: "oh, don't worry, it can take up to one week for the MID to update - just carry around a copy of your certificate in the car in case you get pulled over; if any police officer wants to call us we'd be happy to clarify it to them there and then. If it hasn't updated by Wednesday of next week, give us a call and we'll see what we can do".

I've checked this morning, and it has now been sorted - but I don't believe that in this digital age that a future-dated update cannot be set up to trigger automatically at the specified change-over point.

I can't shake the feeling that my phone call yesterday prompted them to update the MID because it hadn't been done in the first place.

I won't name the insurer for the time being in case this is all correct and I've just never known it - but if it might be a porky pie I am happy to reveal their identity lest it may affect others in future.

L

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,832 Posts
It's not fool proof.

Despite my reg only ever being on one Ford (Sierra Sapphire) previous to a run of 4 Subarus it took ages to get this corrected.

·
Registered
2004 Forester STi
67 Posts
Yes it does take a while to update, & even then often omits the car data for seemingly months.

I wouldn't let it worry me though. You're insured. If their database isn't updated to reflect that's their problem. You would likely be sent on your way or given a producer in the unlikely event you were pulled over having pinged ANPR.

·
Registered
2005 Forester STI Manual
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That'll do for me - but you can never be too careful. I had an inkling that nothing had actually been done about it, particularly as the MID website is clear in pointing out that the responsibility for updates lies solely with insurers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I switched my USAA policy from my previous vehicle to the '19 Forester on line. I got a new insurance card about 30 seconds later. Insurance companies are privy to VIN info and know instantly about your car when you enter the data.
The actual "policy" arrived in mail about a week later, but who cares. The only surprise was that the new Forester was actually about $24 a year cheaper to insure than my old Legacy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts