1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the going rate for an MOT?

My car was in for an MOT today

not the usual garage, because of the snow i just went to the nearest one to my office.

It failed for headlight alignment, which i knew was good because i adjusted it myself when Simon (Rookie) sold me the rear SLS legs (cant prove anything though)

however i wasnt notified of the failure until i went to collect it and saw the red failure cert and i got a bill for the work carried out to get it through the "Re-Test"

im now £80 lighter..... just goes to show people will do anything right now just to get that extra few quid!

·
Registered
05 2.0xt
145 Posts
£53 for a test, although a lot Garages do discount that price. £27 for someone to adjust your headlights then.. Robbing barstewards.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Agreed, robbing gits, I would also perhaps be willing to bet they didn't even touch them!

They have charged you for unauthorised work, no need to pay it, go ask for it back, once its on the ramp being tested it would only take 30 seconds anyway, my local MOT place wouldn't even charge!

Simon

G

·
My MOT inspector always makes free adjustments to my headlamps if needed, it's what is know as customer service, that way he tells you he done you a favour, you tell your friends and so on..
Now you won't be going back there nor will you recommend him either, daft why some places still do this..

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
£53 here as well. Had mine in on friday, though it might fail on brake disks but passed. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, i wont be going back, and i wont recommend them, i know everybody is struggling right now, but making up ficticious jobs is just not on!

i was quite supprised to see how the maximim charge for an MOT has gone up by... MOT test fees : Directgov - Motoring

The normal MOT garage is a fair drive away, they have the service contract for our company vehicles, so they do me a good deal.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
I always submit my car with the headlamp aim on2 to reduce the chance of it being too high understanding they couldn't set it up for the test, I just checked with friend who's an experienced MOT tester and this is his responce ref headlamp aim:-

"The requirement is to test as presented, however the lamps are set. If the setting is too low, the internal adjuster can be set to full high and tested again. (Without charge)

If they still fail the lamp adjusters are then used. In my view this is chargeable although no mot station I know would charge as long as the adjusters work and are accessable.(not all are). Strictly in this case a failure should be issued along with the pass, this is classed as a PRS (problem resolved at station). All this will be recorded in the computer.

Check the vosa site for mot history of the vehicle, this might show up (not certain)."

So if you've not got a fail sheet, and/or it doesn't show up on the car history, the work 'never' happened and I'd ask for my £27 back if it were me. You could threaten a complaint to VOSA for not failing a car they should (not following procedure) that should wake them up the tea leaving 'hits'.

EDIT Check VOSA site for MOT history here http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/html/home.html

Simon

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
£53 here as well. Had mine in on friday, though it might fail on brake disks but passed. :biggrin:
yeah... when i was checking mine over before the MOT i did notice that it wears down discs and pads pretty quick.

i have also noticed driving an Automatic car that i use the brakes much more

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always submit my car with the headlamp aim on2 to reduce the chance of it being too high understanding they couldn't set it up for the test, I just checked with friend who's an experienced MOT tester and this is his responce ref headlamp aim:-

"The requirement is to test as presented, however the lamps are set. If the setting is too low, the internal adjuster can be set to full high and tested again. (Without charge)

If they still fail the lamp adjusters are then used. In my view this is chargeable although no mot station I know would charge as long as the adjusters work and are accessable.(not all are). Strictly in this case a failure should be issued along with the pass, this is classed as a PRS (problem resolved at station). All this will be recorded in the computer.

Check the vosa site for mot history of the vehicle, this might show up (not certain)."

So if you've not got a fail sheet, and/or it doesn't show up on the car history, the work 'never' happened and I'd ask for my £27 back if it were me. You could threaten a complaint to VOSA for not failing a car they should (not following procedure) that should wake them up the tea leaving 'hits'.

Simon
they failed for being too low, but my car is fixed beam, so i dont have a headlight adjustment switch inside the car

they were too high when i got the car because it had a saggy butt and i was blinding everybody.

i replaced the rear legs that you sent me, and adjusted the headlights (propperly with a beam setter - not up against the garage wall!) so i know they were perfectly set. (also re-checked everything last week)

they did issue a red failure cert and a green pass cert, i just dont believe they did any adjustment. - i did notice that they have recorded my milage at 110, 701miles when it should say 110,701km

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Hmm OK, the only come back you have is that the work was unauthorised, you entered no contract for them to do anything.

Simon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts