Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is booked for the mot tomorrow and I noticed this morning the 'knock on lock' going around a roundabout. Will this be an mot item to check? I know a split boot is a fail (past experience of that !) but not sure about the cv joints themselves.

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo
149 Posts
hi Brian not had forester that long so do not now how they do brake test but I presume they have to do it the old way and drive it with brake tester in the car and if they do they will most like find your CV knock as they have to drive you car and they try things not normal for a mot. so if they hear it they will fail it.

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ( insert suitable expletive !)

Thanks for the info'.

Brian

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Note that is OUTER CV joint boots, inners are not a check item and the car 'cannot' fail on them (if tested correctly!).

"front outer constant velocity joint boots are examined"

Also you may find the 'knock on lock' may not show up when tested on swivel plates (the test procedure is on swivel plates only!) as there is less load, usually it can be fixed with a fluid and/or belt check and correct, if the knock is outer CV joint then it won't show up stationary will it?

As for brakes, on a manual the VC centre is so soft it causes no problems for rolls testing, in fact my olf XR4x4 was always rolls tested and the cntre VC on that is about the same rating as the 20Kgm STi unit, and no issue on an MPT 4eat as the MPT is all but opened when there is no torque demand.

Simon

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,055 Posts
A conversation with a tester at the local centre (state-run test in NI, remember) last year confirmed that the Maha brake tester that is used Province-wide is able to detect any cross-axle bind and therefore AWD and LSD. It then tests each wheel individually, rather than simultaneously.

Or so he said...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts