Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09X AT made it to 425.2 miles (on Ohio-PA TP) before I would chance any farther.

I think I recall the warning light going on about the 370 mark.

Calculated average; 28.9 mpg (vs. the 29.4 showing on the digital display).

I was surprised it only took in only 14.7 gallons.

Anyone go farther, and by how much?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Wow! So you still had 2.2 gals left? The best I've done on my 07 XT is 600km.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
1,066 Posts
i usually hit 340miles/tank...

425miles seem pretty crazy..!!

do SH's have bigger tanks?

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
I wish I could get 28mpg; the best I have seen is a hand-calculated 23.5mpg. That was 14.5 gals in 340 miles.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
I wish I could get 28mpg; the best I have seen is a hand-calculated 23.5mpg. That was 14.5 gals in 340 miles.
Depends on speed driven. I regularly get 30+ mpg driving on back roads.

Back on topic, the most miles I've gotten out of one tank of gas in my 2004 NA was 307. Filled up with 9.052 gallons.

Edit: I see that you drive an XT. I drive an NA engine. That's the difference.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Depends on speed driven. I regularly get 30+ mpg driving on back roads.

Edit: I see that you drive an XT. I drive an NA engine. That's the difference.
Thanks for the clarification; that's good to know. Anything else that can affect mileage you can enlighten us on?

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Looking at my spreadsheet, the most I have gone is 517.0 km and it took 52.215 l for an average of 28.0 MPG (imperial). Reading on the display was 9.8, calculated is 10.1 It was April 2009, so still on winter tires and winter gas.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
252 Posts
621.2 km or 385 miles

out of my 09 XT

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 425.2 m. stint was aided by an easterly wind push.
Still, I appreciate what seems a world of difference in having a tank larger than the one I had in my '01.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
Thanks for the clarification; that's good to know. Anything else that can affect mileage you can enlighten us on?
Not really. For me it seems to be a factor of speed and driving conditions (traffic). 50mph is the "sweet spot" on my Forester where I got the 33+mpg. At 60mph I can consistently get 31mpg. At 70mph I'm happy to get 27mpg. Also the steadiness of the drive has had a big impact. I shifted the time on my morning route to work about 15 minutes earlier and now miss most of the traffic and generally get through most of the traffic lights without stopping. I changed the afternoon route home so that I'm now going the opposite direction of most of the heavy traffic; it's a fairly smooth drive home even though the route is a bit longer. My in town mileage went from 19mpg to 22mpg in the Forester and went from 13mpg to 16mpg in a V6 Tacoma. Otherwise my driving habits are the same.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I’ve found >400 miles/tank (>645 km/tank) to be fairly easy to achieve under certain conditions:
  • Generally level route
  • No significant headwind
  • Speed limited to ~65 mph (~105 kph)
  • Air conditioner off
  • Other than “winter” gas
  • Slightly higher than “minimum” AKI (octane; altitude adjusted)
Examples for my particular car, driving style, and road conditions include:

:icon_cool:
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
My best so far on my 09 XT was 376 miles on 93 octane at 80 MPH from Northeast Georgia to West Tennessee. I think I was bumping just over 25 MPG on that tank. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 Forester Turbo PPP
9 Posts
My 09X AT made it to 425.2 miles (on Ohio-PA TP) before I would chance any farther.

I think I recall the warning light going on about the 370 mark.

Calculated average; 28.9 mpg (vs. the 29.4 showing on the digital display).

I was surprised it only took in only 14.7 gallons.

Anyone go farther, and by how much?
My 2.0 Turbo PPP Auto does around 230 miles before the warning light comes on and I never go past 22 miles into the red light.
It only uses 97-99 octane petrol and this costs at my local filling station 117pence per litre (approx $2.00).
You can see how expensive it is to run a car like this in the UK.
But I love it:biggrin:
Petrol prices are going up all the time in the UK and will soon be back to £1.50 per litre of high octane.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
216 Posts
I usually put about 415 miles on it before filling up. I do mostly highway driving and average between 28-29 MPG
I have pushed it to past 450 miles once.

·
Registered
2009 2.0D
24 Posts
According to my notes my best run is 930 km. Most of the time I fill when the light comes on, and that is after about 840 km.

The computer shows consumption of 5 liter per 100 km (47 MPG), but the measurement on the Forester seems to be way off. My manually calculated shows that the number is closer to 6 liter per 100 km. (Close to 40 MPG.)

Still pretty decent for a car this size and with full time AWD.

The car is a 09 Forester Diesel.

-KJ

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
mileage

kudos,
You guys are getting stellar mileage. In a place like San Francisco, with gridlock street traffic, steep hills, and heavy acceleration, I ain't got a prayer. I'm happy with my 20-21 mpg, for now. I cringe when I see my gauge go down to 17-18. :shake: When I actually get on the highway, the fuel economy is like night and day.

Things to remember for better fuel economy--

Anyone here old enough to remember the oil embargo? :icon_eek: The US lowered highway speed limits to 55mph, which was the ideal speed for vehicle fuel economy. Someone else mentioned 50mph being the sweet spot. If you can maintain 50-55, you're getting 30+mpg easy.

The faster you go, the more you tow. As your speed increases, so do your RPMs and wind drag. You burn more fuel and lower fuel economy incrementally.

Of course, weight is always a factor. Some mods will weigh you down and shave off fuel economy, i.e. skid plates and other heavier metals, like snow plows and gun turrets. :huh:

Tires? Specialized winter tires are not designed for touring. Winter tires will shave off some fuel economy.

As crazy as it sounds, roof racks, especially loaded ones, shave off fuel economy, about 1-5mpg, depending on what you've got attached. There is a lot to be said about wind resistance.

and also, the obvious, driving styles. anytime you mash the gas you lose the cruise, which is vital to keeping fuel economy up...also A/C and anything that puts stress on the engine.

I'm crazy about fuel economy, as you can tell. Maybe it has something to do with where I live (second most expensive in US):crazy:

·
Registered
2010 XT 4eat
604 Posts
280 a tank for me. A mix between city and hwy. I don't even have 3000k on my fxt yet. Hopefully it will bet better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts