Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Prem
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking through the owners manual and the Rear Cigarette adaptor can only handle 120 watts at 12v, or 10 Amps.

I was wondering if anyone had ran a direct beefier line to that area for their power needs?

I plan on installing a Ham radio back there, that will draw around 22 amps at 12v at full power.

My first idea was to just drop in a 12v battery in a box and strap it down real secure and use a 12v charger off the cigarette lighter adapter to float the battery and id have a large store to draw from if needed.

Thats not a bad idea in itself, but im looking to keep this as clean as possible, and a battery with wires running around is "Stuff" that people can see from the outside.

On another note, the manual states that between the center console and the rear, the combined load cant exceed 120 watts. thats not very much power through that system at all. is that because the lines just cant carry that much juice or does the limit come from the actually cigarette lighter adapter not able to handle it?

So Anyone done any wiring to bring more amps to the back of the Foz? Assuming the system doesn't have an on/off switch, how did you tackle a direct line always being on? Necessary to install an on off switch inline regardless?

Thanks!
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,901 Posts
I'd go for a separate circuit straight to the battery, with 10ga wire. Forester wiring is notoriously flimsy, even when used within spec. For example, we lose over 2 volts in the high beam circuit.

It's easy to run wires from front to back. There are cable channels running under the door sills on both sides. They dump out into the spare tire well in the back. Getting through the firewall is also an easy job due to the plugged hole in the vicinity of the brake reservoir.

Always on, key on, or switched? Your choice. Depends on how you plan to use your rig, though I wouldn't recommend running a 22 Amp load for long without the motor running. If you go either key on or switched, I'd suggest a 30-40 Amp Bosch relay ($1.09 apiece. See my Sources Thread) controlled by an existing key-on circuit or by a switch.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Prem
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd go for a separate circuit straight to the battery, with 10ga wire. Forester wiring is notoriously flimsy, even when used within spec. For example, we lose over 2 volts in the high beam circuit.

It's easy to run wires from front to back. There are cable channels running under the door sills on both sides. They dump out into the spare tire well in the back. Getting through the firewall is also an easy job due to the plugged hole in the vicinity of the brake reservoir.

Always on, key on, or switched? Your choice. Depends on how you plan to use your rig, though I wouldn't recommend running a 22 Amp load for long without the motor running. If you go either key on or switched, I'd suggest a 30-40 Amp Bosch relay ($1.09 apiece. See my
Good info thanks, I am almost considering dropping a few small Gel cell's in parrallel in the back and use a 1 way diode to feed them for charging/while the cars running, but never re-energize the system back to the front. This way I could run a 12v battery charger off the cigarette lighter plug back there.

hrm ideas..

:Banane37:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts