Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
04 XT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just bought my very first car. An 04 forester xt. It's an auto, but has an sti intercooler, turbo, and sway bar. I love how it drives, but my only question is if it is possible to get a little more throttle response. If I jump on the throttle, it lags just a bit, I know this comes with being an auto, but my question is there anything I can do to get a quicker throttle response? Thanks for any help. I'm very excited about it.

·
Registered
04 XT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I am totally new to cars, what is that and how do I find that out? Stock I would think. All I really know is that the sti turbo and stuff was put on by a dealer and tuned there.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
If the turbo and TMIC have been upgraded, you need proper engine management to run it. It won't run right without it. Are you able to find out what they did?

At a bare minimum you should pick up a Cobb Accessport and run the proper map for your setup. Ideally, you should have a Protune done from a shop to get the most out of your setup and allow it to run safely.

I

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,717 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

I find that the power will come on smoother if I don't stomp the accelerator. Also, consider keeping the 4EAT in 3 around town when you're under 50 MPH. If you look at the AT shifter layout, it's setup for this. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Update your profile with your loation so members can suggest people near you for help. Also I agree with sea scooby on engine management. Cobb stuff works great and is very user friendly even for those who are challenged when it comes to cars/computers.

·
Registered
04 XT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm calling to find out what they did. I think I might just take it to get it protuned. About how much do you think that will run? And where should I look for a Cobb accessport? Any websites at you guys are fond of?

·
Registered
04 XT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So since I'm such a noob and don't know anything about tuning a car, should I just have it protuned? I don't want to screw anything up so that's why I'm kind of leaning towards a tune. Will they be able to help with getting it mapped and set up right? Maybe get a few more horses out of it...

·
Administrator
38,717 Posts
Checking with the dealership or shop that did the work would be a good starting point. Then you'll know if you need a tune right away, or if it can be done down the road when you're ready for one. :wink:

IMO, before going for the power, make sure everything else is in perfect condition. When I bought my '07 FSXT last year (June/09), it didn't have any service history, so I had everything checked & serviced as needed. :smile:

BTW, how many miles on your '04 XT? :confused:

Bobby...

·
Registered
04 XT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks, I have a call in. I'm sure it has a fine tune on it. But I'm looking for those few extra horses, so I'll have a pro tune done anyways. I'm so stoked. My first purchase are tires, so hopefully the tune will come soon after.

My xt just hit the 100000 mark. I would've liked less miles, but it's all the wallet could afford. It just had the timing belt changed along with the turbo stuff. Very well kept and clean.

·
Administrator
38,717 Posts
Keep in mind spark plugs need to be changed at 60K miles... but should be good for much longer. Then there's the expensive timing belt & assocated parts at 105K miles. :icon_eek:

It sounds like you'll want to start one of these Member Journal to keep track of your Forester modding. :wink:

As to posting pictures or links. You're required to have 15 posts to link to a host (to prevent spamming), but you can attach pictures (thumbnails) now. It's always nice to welcome new members & that will add to your post count. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
04 XT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, the spark plugs, timing belt and everything there were changed last month. That's one reason why I wasn't too worried about getting a higher mileage forester. I'll also start a journal :)

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
There are just too many unknowns here, and your assumption is a protune will get you more power. For all we know your injectors are maxed and you pay for a protune and get MAYBE 5-10 awhp at best. I would call the seller and simply ask what engine management was used to tune/flash the car. If I were to guess I would say opensource, unless he sold the accessport still married, and not many use ecutek. You need to log the car so you can see what the engine is doing ie. psi, IDC, PWGDC, IAM, FLKC. You need a tactrix cable and Download Romraider to do log. It would really be nice if you could find a local with a tactrix cable or just find a shop that does opensource tunes and ask them to log it for you. You could then ask them if there is any margin left for tuning and/or post the logs here and we could help. Don't get a protune until you do these things. I have roughly what you are describing (check out my signature below) and the thing pulls like a freight train. I am running 18.5 psi and my injector duty cycles are 89% on a low load pull.

·
Registered
2008 hta 68 xti
71 Posts
also consider a new downpipe. that should grab a little horsepower but like scubadooper said, if your injectors are stock, u are about at their limit so with that protune you would probably need new ones

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
I drive an '07 XT 4EAT that has been substantially modified. Like everyone else on this board, I'll be more than happy to share my experience with you.

As already noted, we need to start off with a complete list of modifications already performed. If I read this right, it sounds like a "STi turbo and intercooler." Give us the complete list of existing modifications and we can go from there.

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
When you step on it, and it lags before it goes...

I'm assuming thats the torque converter winding up. w/ the 4EAT you can just floor it and expect it to go. It's going to take a second for the TCU to figure out whats going on, then apply its findings to the car. THEN, it takes a second for the torque converter to start spinning to match RPMS and apply the power to the wheels.

I've found (i have the same car, 04 fxt w/ sti setup & 4eat) that if you just steadily apply throttle that it then gets going faster. ;)

ps. welcome to the boards

1 - 20 of 20 Posts