Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT Premium
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been reading the child seat install threads. Any tips on how to install the seats without damaging the upholstery? I had towels put down on the seat in the last car (cloth interior), and they still left a significant crease in the fabric. Now in the Foz, I imagine the effect on the leather interior will be worse. Also, is there a trick to installing a forward facing seat using the LATCH system that creates more leg room space for the child. With the front seat all the way up, my daughter can still put her feet up on the back of the front seat which I don't think is safe.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
Hi Chris, Unfortunately its a case of pot luck as a lot depends on the design of the child seat itself. Some tend to mark the upholstery and others don't. But you wont know until you buy the seat!.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
I found Britax seats to be one of the better ones for having a smoother bottom with less pointy bits to damage the seat.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium
22 Posts
I have been using the Safety 1st Air Protect system seat, rear facing, with a folded bath towel under my daughter's seat for a year now and haven't noticed any damage. This seat has a basically flat bottom. In answer to the other question, it also has fold out blocking to tip the seat back a bit when installed forward facing. I would think that would keep the feet off the front seat, but I admit I don't have experience with this yet.

·
Registered
2004 FXT Premium
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions all. The seat protectors look like a decent option and have some pockets for organizing all the gear that goes with kids and kids' seats. I'll make a trip to Target and see if they don't look too horrendous. For the seats themselves, I had been using Britax. Now those will stay in the old car for back-up transportation or go into storage. They do have some angle adjusters, but I don't see any foldout blocking. I will have to look at how far they adjust the seat back. Does anyone know if the Recaros have that adjustment capability because I'd feel a whole lot better about this being my first "mod" if it actually involved Recaro? I'm kidding, a little, but it wouldn't take a lot to convince me!

Jared N- I was out your way the other weekend to do some karting at LVGP. Man is that fun, and a good way to practice driving skills in the off-season! Anyway, thanks for the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts