Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through the Handling, Suspension Topics but was unable to find anything about the 2010 FXT. I apologize in advance if I missed something.

Basically what I am after is a softer, more comfortable ride out of my 2010 FXT. I would also hope that I could reduce the feeling that I will slide of out my seats when I take a corner.

If anyone could give me some suggestions it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
ummmm ya, other then taking some air out of the tires, which in of it self isnt the best idea you bought a mid-size SUV...........

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I doubt you'll find anything softer than stock spring rates. Not following you with the reduced ride height offering a softer ride?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would assume that a lower ride height would lower the center of gravity for better turns and that there would be more comfortable springs available, but I'm asking because I know nothing about cars.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ummmm ya, other then taking some air out of the tires, which in of it self isnt the best idea you bought a mid-size SUV...........
My previous vehicle was a VW Touareg which is considered a mid sized SUV. The ride was much better(probably one of the reasons it costs so much more). I would think there should be some after market items which could make the driving experience somewhat comparable.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
lowering the car would lower the center of gravity, but in order to do that you would have to change springs, and as far as i know there is no spring that would in fact lower and make for a softer ride, sway bars would help in the turns, but thats about it

also on a side on your taking a through and through soccer mom car , and the price tag has a lot to do with one word, VOLKSWAGEN

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Lower center of gravity usually does improve handling but it's firmer shock damping and higher spring rates that usually improve handling with a compromise to ride comfort.

+1 on swaybars improving handling without increasing ride stiffness though you will lose some independence side to side.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
A little confused as to why my Forester is getting bashed in a Forester Forums...
Because we all know that for the most part, "comfortable ride" and, "Forester" don't really fit in the same sentence... You can have semi-comfortable ride with poor(-ish) handling, or a not so comfortable ride with very good handling. (right guys?)

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
A little confused as to why my Forester is getting bashed in a Forester Forums...
forester bashing never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! v-dub bashing.....every day of the week baby

ps if you havent guessed im bashing the touareg

o and thanks for the back up there snoshado ( hope your getting over that crash......and then burn you had....i had to im sorry)

·
Registered
2010 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
forester bashing never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! v-dub bashing.....every day of the week baby

ps if you havent guessed im bashing the touareg

o and thanks for the back up there snoshado ( hope your getting over that crash......and then burn you had....i had to im sorry)
I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you were saying the xt was a soccer mom suv, which I have heard it being called before, though not in a subaru forum.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so my idea of changing springs has been shot down... what about swapping out the geolander tires for something else? Any suggestions? I was reading good reviews on Yokohoma ADVAN sport for summer tires.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,916 Posts
Ok, so my idea of changing springs has been shot down... what about swapping out the geolander tires for something else? Any suggestions? I was reading good reviews on Yokohoma ADVAN sport for summer tires.
Tires are not going to make a big difference. Maybe going to a 16" wheel with a taller sidewall tire (but not a truckish AT tire) could help.

Two questions:
1. Did you drive the Forester before you bought it?
2. What cars have you owned or driven that you define as having a good ride? My '09 FX has a pretty compliant ride compared to most vehicles that are the same size.

Actually my first question should have been "how much air is in your tires"?

My Foz strangely came with like 44 lbs in the tires, which was stupid. Make sure your tires are inflated to the factory recommended inflation (sticker inside the driver's door jamb), or not more than 2-3 lbs more than that.

George

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
i'd beg to differ with the tire selection not making a difference. different load index ratings can affect tire ride quality but let's not open another can of worms..

What is the condition of the roads that you drive on? Is there a reason for you lowering your vehicle and upgrading the suspension? reasons like taking it to the track or you just drive aggressively/unsafely fast on public roads? or is it purely for aesthetics?

My suggestion would be to take it back to stock height, reinstall stock suspension components and re-set the settings then add the highest rated in ride comfort all-season passenger/ tires with a maximum of 17" wheel diameter. That would be the most comfortable your 2010 will ever get without ordering custom wound progressive springs.

Try not to exceed 32 psi (cold) in your tires. Mine came from the dealer at 28 psi front and 26 psi at the back with all four tires filled up with nitrogen.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tires are not going to make a big difference. Maybe going to a 16" wheel with a taller sidewall tire (but not a truckish AT tire) could help.

Two questions:
1. Did you drive the Forester before you bought it?
2. What cars have you owned or driven that you define as having a good ride? My '09 FX has a pretty compliant ride compared to most vehicles that are the same size.

Actually my first question should have been "how much air is in your tires"?

My Foz strangely came with like 44 lbs in the tires, which was stupid. Make sure your tires are inflated to the factory recommended inflation (sticker inside the driver's door jamb), or not more than 2-3 lbs more than that.

George
1. Yes, i drove it before I bought it. I seem to remember the ride being different in the one I test drove. It shouldn't make a difference, but it was a limited x. I bought the xt without test driving it.
2. Other than an early 00's crv, I haven't driven anything in the same class.

and as for the air in the tires, I'll definately check on that, but I'm pretty sure last time I checked it was at the recommended levels.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'd beg to differ with the tire selection not making a difference. different load index ratings can affect tire ride quality but let's not open another can of worms..

What is the condition of the roads that you drive on? Is there a reason for you lowering your vehicle and upgrading the suspension? reasons like taking it to the track or you just drive aggressively/unsafely fast on public roads? or is it purely for aesthetics?

My suggestion would be to take it back to stock height, reinstall stock suspension components and re-set the settings then add the highest rated in ride comfort all-season passenger/ tires with a maximum of 17" wheel diameter. That would be the most comfortable your 2010 will ever get without ordering custom wound progressive springs.

Try not to exceed 32 psi (cold) in your tires. Mine came from the dealer at 28 psi front and 26 psi at the back with all four tires filled up with nitrogen.
I haven't yet done anything to my forester. With a 2 month old child in the car, I'm definitely not driving aggressively, I just find that even taking corners at low speeds, my wife and I are sliding around alot. We live in an area with fairly poor roads, but that's why I was wondering if there would be anything to improve the ride.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts