Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 turbos
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going the route of abooster nothing fancy probably a gauge to make sure correct setting about 0.8 to 1.0 bar. will ineed a dump valve or any new pipework or renew any pipework cheers. will the air fuel mix at that setting be ok. cheers

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
i am going the route of abooster nothing fancy probably a gauge to make sure correct setting about 0.8 to 1.0 bar. will ineed a dump valve or any new pipework or renew any pipework cheers. will the air fuel mix at that setting be ok. cheers
Are you looking for something to increase the stock boost level you mean (boost controller)... or something to visually represent your current boost profile (boost gauge)...?

Personally I would never increase the stock boost without a remap to ensure that the Air/fuel mix is still within tolerances, but you may be lucky. I would recommend at the very minimum a rolling road session after changing to get a print of the A/R ratio just to check.

·
Registered
2001 turbos
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re advice

from a prev posting 18/1 about fitting a tdo4 turbo comments were made and i sort of reached this conclusion i wasnt sure a remap would be necessary. if you can be bothered have alook at that post and maybe u can advise

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
or you could just post up the link so I don't have to look for it.... :biggrin:

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
OK found it.

I have an A'pexi AVC-R along with several remaps, so maybe my experience is a bit too "expensive" for your budget so I'll back out.

For ref though, without the AVC-R on the Foz makes 282 bhp, and with 360. Bit more than 20. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2001 turbos
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that i tried to post the link but it didnt happen. i really just want to break around 200 to 220 bhp i thought this could be the way but im open to all suggestions. this is a third car and i dont want to spend a fortune on it but also dont want to danage the engine by stupidity. because of where i live i need a 4/4. it runs on snow tyres used only in the winter months but it would be nice to have a few more horses.

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Mike (mykp) posted a good description of the boost controller he fitted, about 9mnths ?? back..best thing since sliced bread apparently ! Do a search of his posts and it might give you some more ideas.
I wouldn't do anything until you have a gauge fitted though, then you know what is happening now and can take it from there.

Good luck

Brian

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
First decide your budget and then we can advice on the best way to increase the boost within the (mapped to) fuel cut.
£5 for the ghetto boost mod to £400 to an APEXi AVC-R, how much you want to spend?

Simon

·
Registered
2001 turbos
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everybody for your help im just trying not to make a pigs ear of this. probably spend couple of hundred quid or so. the car is a2001 turbo s with full history spend money on service cam belt and tensioner its done 82000 miles and stands me about 2000k. it goes in for a exhaust not full decat srt thro middle pipe etc. im not looking for huge bhp 200 to220 would be fine. thanks again for letting me pick your brains

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Is yours definately an 01 or a late sale 00? Is there an ignition coil pack on the inlet manifold?

For that budget a Hybrid boost controller as used by Mike will suite you fine.

Simon

·
Registered
1998 stb
35 Posts
been looking at boost controllers hdi do one for subaru and the type you fitted, is the type you have better ?the solenoid on yours looks to have bigger pipe connections which must help.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
they do two the RX and the SE. Mines the SE and this comes with a new Solonoid. The Rx requires some creative soldering into the ECU wiring loom and uses the standard boost solonoid.

I will say I noticed the HDI solonoid gets onto the boost and holds it much better than the standard subaru item. I thought I was seeing things until I put the standard one back on and then you notice, boost comes in at 3000rpm - 2750 with the HDI and boost is held all the way up to 6000rpm where as the standard gets brewers droop at about 5250 rpm. Much better piece of kit.

Mines done about 10k miles with it one and it still pulls like a train.

·
Registered
2001 turbos
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
boost controllers

thanks for all your time and effort i now know which way to go. i'll check on model etc then off we go. i'll let u now how things get along. thanks again

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,596 Posts
First decide your budget and then we can advice on the best way to increase the boost within the (mapped to) fuel cut.
£5 for the ghetto boost mod to £400 to an APEXi AVC-R, how much you want to spend?

Simon,
Simon
This Ghetto Boost for £5.

I take it the boost is increase up to ?? Bar.

This is Without a remap right?

Wifelet's Foz now has a VF28, FSTI Injectors & a 225 Fuel Pump.

There's still something missing>>:biggrin:

I can't afford a remap & a 3 port Boost Selenoid for quite a few months.

Your as usual, good advice appreciated.

Regards

AM

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
The boost is increased to whatever you set it to Alan, or at least as close as you can get it!

That's right, no expensive remap required!

I guess what is missing is MORE BOOST? LOL!

PM me an email addy and I'll send you the how to document.

Simon

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Maybe, but that's not really in the spirit of the forum, I'm happy to share what I've found and am greatful to others who have shared their findings with me.

For example everyone told me my mod was unsafe as it would need a remap, however some of the Aus guys had raised boost by more conventional means (Dawes, bleed valve) and had it RR checked and found to be safe, that gave me the confidence to try this route which I got the idea for from a friend who did similar on his ST185 Celica Carlos Sainz.

Simon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts