Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT CVT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking at putting in some extra insulation on the moonroof/sunroof sliding cover. Australian heat is killer.
Couple questions, has anyone done something similar ( couldn't find any in search)
Will adding a removable layer on top of cover fit or likely interfere with with sliding of said cover or the glass.
What material would be good.
Thinking I'll make like a thin heat shield pad to lay on top, some insulation material sandwiched between grey felt to match headliner colour and so not obviously visible when looking down on roof from above.
Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT CVT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update.
Made a prototype "heat shield" by cutting down an old windscreen reflector, mounting it to a piece of foam core so its stiff, bound the edges with cloth gaffer tape and slid it on top of the internal sunroof slide. Stays in place pretty good, no issues so far opening/closing slide or the glass. Cuts down a LOT of heat.

All of 15 minutes work. I doubt I'll even put a layer of felt over the top, just looks like a normal windscreen reflector been put up if looking down from second story balcony.

Blaze

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT CVT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive read a lot of the threads on tinting the moon roof, and Have come to the conclusion it would be fine. My dealer advised against doing it, and the local tinter said no outright. They recon the glass can shatter.

Anyway my diy "heat shield" is working well, and for a total cost of about $6 bucks Im happy.

Blaze

·
Registered
2014 Forester LTD 2.5L Slush-box
26 Posts
I was thinking about tinting the moonroof to accomplish the same thing... Maybe I'll try this.
The 2014 Forester does NOT come with the upper windshield tint nor is there tint on the moon roof. I took care of both issues when I went to the tint shop. They installed a dark tint from top of w/s chrome trim down to "just below" the factory egg crate black-out on the windshield over the rear view mirror; then I had them install a medium tint on the moon roof...what a complete difference just these two improvements made. I HIGHLY recommend both fixes :bananapartyhat: ...rather than attempting to insulate the area between inner roof panel and moon roof glass. :N_poke:

Jer

·
Registered
2014 Forester LTD 2.5L Slush-box
26 Posts
Ive read a lot of the threads on tinting the moon roof, and Have come to the conclusion it would be fine. My dealer advised against doing it, and the local tinter said no outright. They recon the glass can shatter.

Anyway my diy "heat shield" is working well, and for a total cost of about $6 bucks Im happy.

Blaze

Curious as to how the glass in the moon roof would shatter if it is tinted? IF this were an issue, the tint shop would have told me so...and it's not like I don't know the owner/employees there.

Any further comments on how the glass can shatter?

Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts