Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this new FXT and today had my first chance to open the moon roof. There is a light and nearly constant rattle when the glass is open any amount beyond 4". If I tug down firmly on the open glass edge it cures the rattle while I'm holding it. Even slamming a door or tapping the edge of the open glass with my palm will make it rattle. It sounds like a wire or strap leaning on the glass out of sight near the back of the open glass, but that's just a guess.

Has anyone had this problem???

Bob

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
59 Posts
I just bought this new FXT and today had my first chance to open the moon roof. There is a light and nearly constant rattle when the glass is open any amount beyond 4". If I tug down firmly on the open glass edge it cures the rattle while I'm holding it. Even slamming a door or tapping the edge of the open glass with my palm will make it rattle. It sounds like a wire or strap leaning on the glass out of sight near the back of the open glass, but that's just a guess.

Has anyone had this problem???

Bob
Ahhhhh.. yes. Unfortunately, I have much experience with sunroof rattles. Just do a search on this forum and you will find answers aplenty. My rattle was much like yours and ended up being a loose bracket that holds the sunroof assembly and the side curtain airbag to the frame of the car. It took about 6 visits and the involvement of Subaru of America (my doing) before it was finally properly located and fixed.

Good luck and I hope you don't have to go through all the service appointments and three different dealerships like I did! My advice - bring it back to the dealer and ask them to take down the headliner to locate it. If you find yourself going back for a third time, contact SOA. They were amazing, professional, prompt, and sent one of their mechanics to oversee the repair. They also gave me a free Gold Plus extended warranty (6 years, 100K) for my troubles!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Prem. CVT
70 Posts
I think mine had the same problem, though they're blaming it on a warped headliner. My service guy just told me there are a couple service bulletins so they're going to go through/tighten everything up there while they have the headliner off. They're completely replacing the headliner, too. I'll found out if all that fixes the problem on Friday when I pick the Forester up from the dealer. Glad they got me a loaner car -- it's been in since Thursday and I miss it. No sunroof on the loaner, rattles or not (though it's kind of fun to drive a new Outback) with its smooth and efficient CVT.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info...... With six visits to correct a loose bracket, I would hate to think of what they would do with an engine knock!!!!!!! I won't find out what mine is until Spring. No point in having it looked at now when I can't even test it (New England winter!). I'm still working on getting a warped mirror glass replaced!

Will post when solution is found for rattle.

Bob

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's my solution!!!!

I looked at the "fix" and unfortunately I can't photo the actual fix without pulling down the back side of my headliner around the roof opening, and I'm not doing that again considering that a mistake can cause damage. BUT, you should pull off the plastic pinch molding that fastens the headliner to the opening around the sunroof opening. Do this on the entire back half of the opening. Don't worry about damaging it. Just respect the strength of the material and don't yank anything to hard. Deep in the two rear corners there will appear to be a sheet metal thing that wraps around the outside of aluminum channel. The sheet metal looks kinda cheap and it's purpose is not clear. Anyway, the gap between the sheet steel and the alumium is the culprit. If you bang and beat the surrounding areas you can likely produce the rattle. Shoving fingertips into the gap will perhaps silence it. Personally I feel it is more prone to rattle when real warm such as when out on a sunny day in direct sun. You may have to take a ride like this with a friend driving so you can observe it.
What to do?.....I used one old fashioned wooden clothespin (the one with the spring to spread it). Pull off the spring and you will have two nice little wedges that are just the right size to jam into the 3/16" +/- space between the sheet steel and alum channel. Tap in a wedge in both corners with a generous glue like GOOP on the wood. If I'm right, your rattle is gone. No harm since a pair of pliers can pul lthe wedge out even after the glue is dried. I imagine that cedar construction shims that you can get at Home Depot for $2 will work but the clothespin is the right size and I had some around!

That's it......I use it all the time.........a few months has gone by and my moonroof is the quietest in town! Perfect!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts