Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, after some long research on 7" monitors I found one that fits well behind the double din housing. I searched high and low and finally decided to take a chance on what I believed to be the best option I had encountered thus far. I ordered a Pyle PLVS7HM 7" monitor from jcwhitney.com in February and finally received it on March 16. They told me this particular monitor was new for them and was also on back order. Originally it was scheduled for shipment on March 16 but somewhere along the line they moved it to April 11. When I found this out I sent them an email expressing my disappointment. Then on the 16th it arrives. Overall I am very pleased with the service I received and the promptness they provided with my order. Update:After a bit of research I found the exact same monitor I purchased on another site for $70 less on the list price. The site is etronics.com. I purchased a second monitor from them and received great service and brand new product despite my concerns. I just couldn't believe the price difference.

For the money the monitor seems to be a best buy when you look at other brands out there. This one is a high resolution type w/tft active matrix display. It also has dual video input and a wireless remote. There are also 4 options for mounting including a headrest bracket, headrest mounting housing, a sunvisor mounting housing, and a stand that can be either taped to a surface or screwed to a surface. I opted to use none of those but I wanted them just in case my plan did not work out. I went ahead being the machinist that I am and took measurements and used Teksoft to draw up my idea. I basically made a bracket from 3 pieces of aluminum. Then I made the individual pieces to screw to each other and then mount to the two mounting plates provided with the dash top double din housing. The trick here is to make the bracket so that it mounts in a way that the face of the monitor sits flush against the opening in the housing. The housing I have was one I aquired in a trade deal with ours truly, Sir William. Thanks a bunch Will. Installing the housing is a simple task. All one has to do is remove the oem clock/storage bin by prying it up from the front and carefully lifting it out of the dash. The double din housing comes in two pieces. First the lower piece of the housing is held in place with two screws provided with the kit. Then, the housing just pops into place and is secured by attached tabs. It is made to be easily installed or removed but I have a funny feeling that to much will eventually break or wear out the tabs.
I bought the monitor with intentions of it being a multimedia display, whatever that may be. My biggest reason for it was the challenge behind fabricating my own mounting solution. It really wasn't as big of a challenge as I wanted it to be. Now I have to wire the monitor up and see how well it works.
Check out the pictures and see what you think.
If anyone is interested in doing this type of install please feel free to inquire about the bracket I made or the install itself. I could offer to make brackets like this for anyone interested but I also must say that they are a custom fit for the Pyle monitor. Therefore, I cannot promise the bracket would work with any other brand of monitor.
Front view of monitor mounted to the oem double din mounting plates.

In this picture you can see where the mounting plate was interfering with the bottom of the two vertical shc screws. I had to use my dremel with a 5/8" barrel sander to notch clearance for the screw. I did this on both sides. In the future I would most likely use a countersunk type screw.

Here is a rear view of the monitor and mounting plates. Notice the black plastic thumb screw in the center. This came with the monitor as part of the mounting stand assembly. At least I did find some use for the various mounting hardware.

Another shot from the rear of the left side mounting plate

Topside shot of the monitor, bracket, and plates.

This picture is showing the monitor mounted in the dash. Notice if you can that the bottom of the monitor sits flush against the lower piece of the housing. This piece is the piece I said was held in with the two screws seen at the bottom most right and left sides.

Picture of the housing in place. A very nice fit.

Another shot of the housing and monitor. you can see the rain on my windshield in this shot. We still have another day of it to come.

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
2,225 Posts
If I was to do the same thing would you make me a bracket and how much would you charge me. Not that my "wife" wants to see another screen in the car but I've got to do it.

Ben

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Good job on the installation. What is the screen for? I see you wrote multimedia but how do you do that? Mini-Mac in the glove compartment or ?

D

·
0 Posts
Good question, what are you using it for and how much would you charge for a bracket for it and do you think that it would fit an 06 wrx tr?
Thanx

·
Registered
31 Posts
Whoa, I love that. I have a black 04 FXT, and would love to put one of those in it. What would you charge for the mounting bracket? And where can I get the housing? Please let me know. Not a big fan of Pyle, but your install looks beautiful, and very inexpensive. Well done. :clap1:

·
Registered
2005 XT,ISF,SF,SXE10,GTIR MANUAL AND AUTO
269 Posts
hey just wondering... where did you get that doubledin???? also how much sis the whole install cost.. with the monitor and everything. vf

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry guys for the late response. I didn't even know this thread was still going. I did have images posted but some how they were deleted so I re-posted them.
To answer some questions
Nice. I don't see how you would have installed the screen without the custom bracket. Are there more pieces that came with the gauge pod that I just don't see?
Everything used for the install is in the pictures.
Good question, what are you using it for and how much would you charge for a bracket for it and do you think that it would fit an 06 wrx tr?
Thanx
I am using it mainly for the kids entertainment. My son can play his battery powered plug-n-play video games. We also have a portable dvd player that will plug right up. I wouldn't charge much too make a bracket like this. As far as the Tr, I have no idea if it would work or not. I am not familiar with the layout of the dash.
hey just wondering... where did you get that doubledin???? also how much sis the whole install cost.. with the monitor and everything. vf
Welp, the guage housing was aquired through a trade with a fellow member, sirwilliam. To get the housing you can pick it up from just about any vendor dealing with oem accessories. The price is usually $60-$70. Since I did the install myself and made the bracket it only cost me $120 for the monitor.
Again, I apologize for missing your questions but I hope I am not too late.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts