Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
recently purchased a 2000 Forester L, very excited about the buy until now.

When travelling down the highway the car will spontaneously start violently shuttering and the check engine light pops on. We'll pull over or slow down and that usually sets things back to normal. This happened 3 times on a 100 mile trip today.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!!

Ryan

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
Hello all,
recently purchased a 2000 Forester L, very excited about the buy until now.

When travelling down the highway the car will spontaneously start violently shuttering and the check engine light pops on. We'll pull over or slow down and that usually sets things back to normal. This happened 3 times on a 100 mile trip today.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!!

Ryan
Pull the code and let us know what it says.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
they will get the code for free at Advance or Autozone.

I replaced both knock sensor and crank sensor on 2000s that both caused driveability problems. i believe the knock sensor was worse b/c computer severely retards timing. on the crank sensor, the computer still has the cam sensor for a "reality check" as long as it is working.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We should have codes by this evening sometime. She also said the engine sounds like it's cutting out. I'm hoping it just a fuel pump or knock sensor...

·
Registered
2008 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We pulled a Po3o2 code... Apparenty the 2nd cylinder isn't firing? Could this be the cause of the front end shutter?

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
sounds like it's time to check spark plugs, wires and coil?

if wires are bad enough sometimes you can see arcing to ground at night.

if you don't know the history of the car and it has more than 100kmi i would probably just go ahead and replace the plugs and wires anyway and check the coil.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Putting new plugs and wires on this evening. Just hoping it's not the injector...

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
Most likely electrical. See what the plugs look like. These cars do like fresh wires. The coil pack on top of the engine has been known to cause problems too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts