Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what mods has anyone done that's upped mileage on an XT? Lots of them make sense, wider exhaust, freer breathing, lighter shoes, but what has anyone done that's increased your return on gallonage.

·
6/22/76 - 12/21/14 , Gone but not forgotten
742 Posts
drive slower
inflate tires to proper pressure
keep the rear empty

:D

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good basic advice. It seems that anything that incrases performance without sucking more fuel at idle will increase mpgs(like they used to say about headers) since you'd have to use less right foot to get the same mph...

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
remove cross bars :)

Draft people

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jeffn said:
what mods has anyone done that's upped mileage on an XT? Lots of them make sense, wider exhaust, freer breathing, lighter shoes, but what has anyone done that's increased your return on gallonage.
Buy a Honda Civic. Now go drive your XT and enjoy all that power :D , HP is hard on fuel there's no way around it.

·
Registered
10 Chevy Traverse LTZ
162 Posts
stay home, post on sf.com

wash car.

get rides from friends sick and tired of hearing how great my XT is.

play stereo really loud, neighbors call cops, when cops arrive ask them if they can drop you at the dry cleaners and then Home Depot.

Seriously who cares. I've had my car 9 months and just turned 31,000 miles. I spend $500+ a month on gas. This is America, gas is still cheap (by comparison). Enjoy your car, forget about the gas.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,278 Posts
sunnyside said:
Buy a Honda Civic. Now go drive your XT and enjoy all that power :D , HP is hard on fuel there's no way around it.
A - men!

Boost & mileage do not mix.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Syphon your neighbour's car :twisted: or
slipstream/tailgate buses and semi-trailers on the highway :p
Failing that, punch that throttle, bring on full boost and atomize that go-juice as quick at it can be compressed and ignited and enjoy it all the way

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
I don't think there is a mod which will act like a magic bullet for fuel economy - we would all have heard of it by now if there was.

Avoiding urban driving will make the biggest difference. Having a relatively light right foot and being in the right gear (but that doesn't mean trying to drive in too high a gear labouring the engine at low revs - that can be heavier on fuel than changing down). Don't play traffic lights grand prix, save the power for when it counts like overtaking.

-- Steve

·
Registered
453 Posts
1. Be a neutral person:

When you see a traffic light, a stop sign, slowing/stopped traffic or anything else that will require you to slow down or stop, anticipate it by taking your foot off the gas or even putting it in neutral. By coasting a bit you can buy some time so that you might not have to stop, or at the very least you will have a few less seconds each time off the go pedal. This will also save your brakes.

2. Cruise control (on 55).

3. Big social circle of people working in same vicinity:

helps for carpool. You get to terrorize everyone once a week and then each person repays you the favor on the other days.

·
Fear the Gorilla!
181 Posts
Biggest thing I did that effected mileage was to remove my 235-45-17 AVON M500s and replace with stock rims and tires for long highway trips. I pump the GeoSqueelers to 42 psi front and 40 psi rear. Mileage went from 22mpg to 26 mpg steady state highway 75-80mph.

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
sunnyside said:
I was going to say "Shoulda bought a Prius" but I thought he/she was serious.

:?

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,278 Posts
pleiad7 said:
The Turbonator of course.

DUH!! :roll:
Ahahahaha! :lol:

My neighbor was fiddling with his 05 Odyssey on afternoon, I asked him what he was doing and he said he's intalling the Turbonator. When I saw him again a couple of days later, I ask if he had notice any kind of improvement at all and he said no. I asked him again a couple of weeks later and he seemed agitated. He simply replied, "It's a piece of sh1t".

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
A guy I worked with swears by the Tornado..... He is currently under observation at the local "Chuckle Ward".

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
To go with your turbonator, ditch the XT, get an X, put the Turbonator in it, and add this

Turbo Sound Whistler

This way you can be pimp yo with the turbo sound because "you're craving that turbo spool up sound and you don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a real turbo kit?" and you won't have to eat the extra gas :lol:

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
GTP said:
Biggest thing I did that effected mileage was to remove my 235-45-17 AVON M500s and replace with stock rims and tires for long highway trips. I pump the GeoSqueelers to 42 psi front and 40 psi rear. Mileage went from 22mpg to 26 mpg steady state highway 75-80mph.
Yeah, smaller tread width tires and inflate over the manufacturer's recommendations(but not to the point of blowing the tire).

Less contact = better MPG. :wink:
More contact = poor MPG but better handling/control.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts