Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was the one who purchased SubieOutlaw’s primitive skidplate that he had modified to work with his XT’s undertray. I figured for the price I could not buy and make a skidplate any cheaper, even if it needed some modifications to fit my X. See some of his posts on what he did to modify it for the fitment.

I had to cut out a portion of the right side, at the rear, to clear my X’s exhaust system (now I know why the X has less ground clearance than the XT, our exhaust hangs down a bit more). I also added spaces to the front as suggested by the Outlaw.

What needed to be cut out:

I used a welding shop to do the work as I do not have the tools to do the cutting or the welding of the spacers. And at their suggestion, they added in pads so the front bolts would have a level surface for tightening against. The one error I made was telling them to use the same size tubing as what Primitive had as a spacer for the rear bolt, not taking into account the recess they had to slip into on the existing X’s protective “wings”. And of course they ended up too large and would not seat properly. So I cut back the bigger spacers and then cut smaller diameter tubing to fit inside and all is good now. It bolts up nice and tight but still leaves a space between the plate and the bottom of the bumper.

Spacers:

The black part at the top is the recess in the plastic that the spacers need to fit into:

Finished, showing the pads allowing the front bolts to be level:

Final across the front:

The hardest part of this whole project was finding M8 coarse thread bolts long enough for the front. Ended up having to go to a machine shop to get them and even then I took their longest (M8x80) and they just fit.

Last week, I took the Forester, complete with skidplate, in to the dealer for its 48,000 km service. I asked them to look at the skidplate and see if there were any issues. I have it on the work order that there are no issues.

Thanks to Primitive and other companies for making accessories like this available. Coming from the Pathfinder it’s nice to see the variety of this type of products as it’s almost non-existent for the Pathies. And thanks to SubieOutlaw for the work he did in figuring out what changes had to be made so the skidplate would work with the factory shields. No potential warranty issues as all the original stuff is left on.

Hmm, need to take some better pictures at the next service I think. Sorry about those out of focus ones.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Great job. I am glad it worked out. It was a shame having it sit in my garage collecting dust and dirt.

I hope this pushes people to try to make things on their own. A few calls using the yellow pages can yield your own skid plate.

If you like the look........try painting it. The matte black fits great with the matte black grille I did.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,574 Posts
hope no last minute modifications are required for mine. primitive said their plate was specific for the new 2011 engine ...

received my primitive skid plate (front only) & fomoto? valve yesterday. having a local garage install it friday am 1st thing. may wait on the valve for my next oil change which will coincide with my 30k mile service.

if my vehicle is approved by the national seashore I'll be on the beach with it next week.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,574 Posts
local shop installed the primitve skid plate for $20. it was a luxury having a shop with a lift and some mechanical expertise advise. took some pics hope they help future buyers understand what's entailed and also see how easy it is to do, but also know about the side splash guards, and how, if trimmed would not have any front attachment points. for now we/I removed them. I might like to "trim" them and reinstall but I'm not sure how. the tech said it would require drilling into the guards and plate and adding sheet metal fasteners/screws. which could be fine. I just thought of a picture I should have taken, the oil drain bolt as seen through the access hole. the pictures should show the plate top and bottom before install, side guards on and off the car, side guard and plate on car showing that trimming is required, finished install, detail pic of rear bolt and how the stand off sits against the rear mounting area under the car, provided fasteners including 2 double ended bolts, original side guard fasteners, and instructions. also a pic of the fumoto valve which I decided to hold off on for now.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts