Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
modifications and warranty

There are a lot of people on this forum who modify their foresters quite exstensively. My question is...do all of you just not care about your warrenty, or are these modifications allowed by subaru? I'd like to do some simple mods like exhaust and air filtration, but don't know if I can without voiding my warrenty!

Thanks, NC

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
When dealing with the warranty, keep in mind they only question items that are effected by the mods you make. If you lower the suspension, you void the pieces you replaced . Now if you have a problem with the fuel system they can not deny warranty because of the suspension change. But if you change the entire exhaust system to a high flow unit, they will probably void the engine warranty. The best thing to do is ask your service manager. Some Dealerships are more mod friendly than others and it depends on what you have done.

In my case, I have added a "APS Axelback" muffler, replaced the resonator with a straight pipe and dropped in a reusable panel air filter. These were viewed by my dealer as "Warranty friendly", because the engine/ECU/majority of the exhaust is still stock.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
If you have any doubts at all stick with the SPT line of parts.

Aside from being warranty friendly they are developed for and with SOA so you know they are going to fit right and will last a long time.

They will also be CARB legal and not overly loud/flashy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the imformation guys! I'll check with my dealer for what is allowed and what isn't.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
whats a warranty? j/k

a warranty cannot be "void", they can DENY warranty work based on modifications to certain parts that conributed to the breakage/malfunction of a part.

SOA doesnt have the best track record when it comes to honoring their warranty but I beleive its because they offer/advertise their vehicles as performance vehicles. People buy these cars because they're easily modified to create huge power and SOA is well aware of this. I think SOA has been burned many times in the past when it comes to warranty work so now their policies have become very strict.

the only things I've had fixed under warranty was paint defect (on my wrx) these cars are built well and are very reliable, even when heavily modified.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Hondaslayer said:
If you have any doubts at all stick with the SPT line of parts.

Aside from being warranty friendly they are developed for and with SOA so you know they are going to fit right and will last a long time.

They will also be CARB legal and not overly loud/flashy.
Careful with this depending on which state you live in. Only some SPT parts are considered under warranty and this really refers to the part in question not the car. Many of the SPT parts are still labeled "for offroad use only".

As for their quality, it's good but usually at a price. The Group N hardened rubber bits are a great alternative to urethane though.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
566 Posts
Save the oem parts and in case of trouble retrofit!

P

·
0 Posts
Can changing your exhaust void your warranty on tranny? Having transmision problems is my biggest fear (especially with an AT). I guess like mentioned above, you could always go back to OEM.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
*Disclaimer*

We as staff at subaruforester.org DO NOT CONDONE "retrofitting" as a method of defrauding SOA. As a person who works at a dealership, I see this happen all the time. I can't believe some of the things I've heard/seen in my time there. There are people who I KNOW who have Blitz exhaust system on their car (carbon stained bumper and all), and when something goes wrong, they've put the stock exhaust back on, and you can simply tell (from the carbon stained bumper) that they aren't even CLOSE to stock. I heard a story from a Subaru mechanic who told me about how one kid brought his WRX in for tranny "warranty" work, and his dad was in there fighting over the warranty, when the kid hadn't even bothered to scrape off the "E.T." and the competitor # of his car window, where it had just come from the drag races!!

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Roo said:
I heard a story from a Subaru mechanic who told me about how one kid brought his WRX in for tranny "warranty" work, and his dad was in there fighting over the warranty, when the kid hadn't even bothered to scrape off the "E.T." and the competitor # of his car window, where it had just come from the drag races!!
Now I know where Jim Carey got the name for his movie "Dumb & Dumber"

P.S. Are we going to have smilies etc back on the side to put into replies?

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Casper said:
Now I know where Jim Carey got the name for his movie "Dumb & Dumber"

P.S. Are we going to have smilies etc back on the side to put into replies?
You need to change your setting

User CP

Edit Options

Enhanced interface

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
Roo said:
There are people who I KNOW who have Blitz exhaust system on their car (carbon stained bumper and all), and when something goes wrong, they've put the stock exhaust back on, and you can simply tell (from the carbon stained bumper) that they aren't even CLOSE to stock.
What is "close to stock?" The reason they switched the exhaust back to "stock" is because SOA might use it for a reason not to honor a warranty.

I prefer to put my stock wheels and exhaust (catback) on before I take my car in for dealer service because I don't want to get judged before the real issues are investigated. Not every dealer out there is mod or "warranty service" firendly.

http://www.deniedmywarranty.org/main.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
TAGXT04 said:
I prefer to put my stock wheels and exhaust (catback) on before
Just curious, does anyone else out there think a dealer might give you flack over aftermarket wheels? When I upgraded, I only went to 17x7 (from the original 16x6.5) and made sure to keep the same stock offset of 48. So it's certainly not an outrageous change, and I can't imagine they could be messing anything else up, but you never know what the dealer might claim. Rest of car is totally stock.

I've had minor brake work done under warranty already (when I still had stock wheels), and I'm expecting I will need to have the same work done again in future before warranty expires. I'm wondering if they might say the non-stock wheels are interfering with the calipers of something?

I had thought about hanging onto stock wheels/tires and switching back when I need to go to dealer just to avoid the possibility of being hassled. But that's a PITA, take up a bunch of space in the garage, AND I was pressed for money after Xmas, so I had to sell them.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,472 Posts
lunajett said:
Just curious, does anyone else out there think a dealer might give you flack over aftermarket wheels? When I upgraded, I only went to 17x7 (from the original 16x6.5) and made sure to keep the same stock offset of 48. So it's certainly not an outrageous change, and I can't imagine they could be messing anything else up, but you never know what the dealer might claim. Rest of car is totally stock.

I've had minor brake work done under warranty already (when I still had stock wheels), and I'm expecting I will need to have the same work done again in future before warranty expires. I'm wondering if they might say the non-stock wheels are interfering with the calipers of something?

I had thought about hanging onto stock wheels/tires and switching back when I need to go to dealer just to avoid the possibility of being hassled. But that's a PITA, take up a bunch of space in the garage, AND I was pressed for money after Xmas, so I had to sell them.
Again, it's entirely up to the dealer. Some are more mod-friendly while others might be really stingy. I can certainly see how they could justify a warranty denial (e.g. for powertrain warranty) based on the fact that the sizing of the wheel & tire combo is minutely different from the OEM setup and thus puts more strain on the drivetrain. Again, I'm not saying that this would be necessarily accurate, but that's what they would argue.

Brake work on the other hand - I can't quite see how they could possibly attribute warping rotors or caliper failure to aftermarket wheels, unless you were running 22" dubs with a significant increase of unsprung weight.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,278 Posts
preacher said:
Can changing your exhaust void your warranty on tranny? Having transmision problems is my biggest fear (especially with an AT). I guess like mentioned above, you could always go back to OEM.
I asked the very same question to the guys at Calson Subaru and this is what they've said: Possibly.

Why??? *Me in my 'you're kidding me' tone*

Because it's not OEM, so it's possible that such [power mod] parts can put strains on stock drivetrains and/or engine, causing premature wear and tear.

Hey, that's what they've said...

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Not that it eases the pain any but we're paying for all the kids who's Daddy bought them a WRX as a high school graduation gift or first car. They immediately go out and do 5K clutch dumps and pull the e-brake and then have Daddy take it to the dealer to get it fixed under warranty.

I like the dealer I go to on occasion but even they start questioning whether my issues started "post" mods. It's a bit of a joke if you ask me...:mad:

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,278 Posts
I was wondering... What if the add ons are genuine Suby parts; VF39, STi TMIC, ect? What would they say about it if you should go in for warranty service?

The only excuse they can come up with is - not designed for the Forester. One can argue that they're designed to work with the 2.5, but they might (and probably) throw the technicality defense, claiming the specs are different, therefore voids the warranty.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
SKSTI said:
I was wondering... What if the add ons are genuine Suby parts; VF39, STi TMIC, ect? What would they say about it if you should go in for warranty service?

The only excuse they can come up with is - not designed for the Forester. One can argue that they're designed to work with the 2.5, but they might (and probably) throw the technicality defense, claiming the specs are different, therefore voids the warranty.

The STi also has a 6speed transmission,upgraded axles,diffs etc... to go with all that power.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
SKSTI said:
I asked the very same question to the guys at Calson Subaru and this is what they've said: Possibly.

Why??? *Me in my 'you're kidding me' tone*

Because it's not OEM, so it's possible that such [power mod] parts can put strains on stock drivetrains and/or engine, causing premature wear and tear.

Hey, that's what they've said...

Cat-back exhaust, probably no problem.

Catless exhasut = No freaking way.

Hence the wording of "possibly"

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
SKSTI said:

I think the main claim that they will make with these parts is when it comes to the tranny, it wasn't designed to withstand the increase in power. Once again, it depends on what the issue is and who the dealer is.

Bottom line is those parts are not stock. Mod knowing the caveats and don't be surprised if they deny you for some reason.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts