Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
508 Posts
The way things are going, it won't be long until a key stops them.

When they can't drive without start button, that would be irony.

· Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT (SOLD)
354 Posts
I wish I had my grandfather's old 1962 Chevy pickup with the "3 on the tree" manual transmission. I could leave it unlocked with the keys in it and it would still be there when I got back. These kids would NEVER figure that one out. LOL.

· Registered
2018 Forester
34 Posts
I learned to drive on a 1967 Plymouth Valiant with a 170 cu. in. slant six ,three speed manual on the column, no power steering or power brakes It was fun once I got the hang of it. The shift from first to second was a long one.

· Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
325 Posts
I wish I had my grandfather's old 1962 Chevy pickup with the "3 on the tree" manual transmission. I could leave it unlocked with the keys in it and it would still be there when I got back. These kids would NEVER figure that one out. LOL.
I learned to drive in a '66 Mercury Comet with three on the tree.

You had to swing your arm like three feet just to get from one gear to another.

Floor board button for high beams too!

· Registered
2018 Forester
34 Posts
I learned to drive in a '66 Mercury Comet with three on the tree.

You had to swing your arm like three feet just to get from one gear to another.

Floor board button for high beams too!
My Valiant had the floor button for the high beams also and there were vent doors under the dash. Open those up and the air would blow through the car. My father had a 1972 Plymouth Duster with a rubber bulb on the floor (near the high beam button) That you would press with your foot to squirt the windshield washer fluid.

· Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,516 Posts
I put thousands of miles on one of the first Subaru cars imported.
It was a 360 cc van.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Tire Van

360 cc 2 stroke oil injected with a 4 speed, non-synchro first gear.. double clutch required - very convenient when a light changed just as you almost came to a stop and second gear was too tall.

The cabin cooling system was via a lever that opened the vent door you can see between the headlights.
It kinda felt like you were looking out a hole from inside a beer can.

Subaru has come a long way.. or has it?
The van would be the ultimate millennial proof vehicle, and until it got to third gear, most people could run faster and catch it..

· Registered
2022 Forester Sport
763 Posts
<snip>
360 cc 2 stroke oil injected with a 4 speed, non-synchro first gear.. double clutch required - very convenient when a light changed just as you almost came to a stop and second gear was too tall.
<snip>
LOL, I've owned 2 stroke motorcycles with more than twice the CC's. Of course these days 2 stroke anything are greatly frowned upon.

· Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
325 Posts
@DragonSubie7

Thanks for posting that.

My Valiant had the floor button for the high beams also and there were vent doors under the dash. Open those up and the air would blow through the car. My father had a 1972 Plymouth Duster with a rubber bulb on the floor (near the high beam button) That you would press with your foot to squirt the windshield washer fluid.
I had a Valiant too. My friends called it the "Vallium" because it was so slow.

Brings back memories. I had totally forgotten about the rubber bulb and pull out handles for the floor vents.

· Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
2,033 Posts
Hey, all you guys boggled by floor-mounted headlight dimmer switches should realize, that was a universal thing on ALL American cars up until the 70s or so. Functions controlled by steering column levers started baffling your grandparents in their new cars about then. I'm young enough (b. 1955) that I grew up taking it for granted that turning the ignition key operated the starter of a car. But my grandmother (b. 1895) was a lifelong Buick owner, and to start all of hers (1958 and several earlier) the starter was linked to the gas pedal. She got a new '66 Special, and the key thing was a problem for her.

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
312 Posts
I got my grandson a 1993 VW Corado-V6 manual that he wanted, took him early on to custom car shows so I guess it rubbed off on him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts