Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
06 forester x 5 MT
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read tons of posts from fellow members who use Rotella T6 5W-40. I couldn't find any posts from those using Mobil 1 in the same weight. I admit, I am partial to Mobil 1. Why? Because I drove an 84 Firebird to 219k and it didn't use a drop between OCI. I sold that and bought an 88 S10 and drove it to 198k before it showed any signs of oil consumption. I used Mobil 1 5W-30 in both of them. I have an 06 Foz that I bought new and now have 109k on it. I have used Mobile 1 5w-30 since 1800 miles and now started using 5w-40 due to age and Florida summer heat. Having said all that, has anyone used Mobil 1 5W-40 and if so what was your experience? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,013 Posts
You don't need a 40 wt oil. Mobil1 is no longer anything special. I have gone 10K miles on Walmart SuperTech on two different 08 NA Foresters with excellent used oil analysis.

One of the best oils is GermanCastrol 0W-30. But again the 2.5 EJ engine runs on cat pee. Its very easy on oil.

·
Registered
06 forester x 5 MT
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't need a 40 wt oil. Mobil1 is no longer anything special.
I forgot to add that I got 6 quarts for free. Just curious if there was any advantage to continue using it. After I have used this up, I am going back to 5w-30. I have used Castrol before but my Suby seems to need a lot more topping off with Castrol vs Mobil 1.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,013 Posts
I forgot to add that I got 6 quarts for free. Just curious if there was any advantage to continue using it. After I have used this up, I am going back to 5w-30. I have used Castrol before but my Suby seems to need a lot more topping off with Castrol vs Mobil 1.
Just mix a quart or two of the Rotella in with any other 5W-30 oil you choose. You can mix oils all you want (IMHO). Years ago I did used oil analysis and specifically I did them on mixes. Never any problems.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
Rotella T6 is a really good oil, for the price per gallon. Which is why many like it. IMHO it seems to shear down quickly to a 30.

I agree on only needing a xW30 and with Pleiad on the 0W-40 European Formula if you want to use a xW40.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,682 Posts
If your oil change intervals are 7,500 miles or less, I would just stick with Mobil Super or Mobil Super High Mileage. I've seen good n/a Outback uoa's on Mobil conventional with an 8,000 mile interval.

You can find a few uoa's on M1 TDT 5W-40 uoa's in the Blackstone sticky above, but those are turbo uoa's and would not be a good representation of how the oil would do in your car. Mobil1 High Mileage is a bit more robust than the Mobil Super High Mileage, but I don't think you need any Mobil1 in an n/a Subaru unless you're doing 8-10k mile intervals.

How can anyone keep calm while they're listening to Rancid? :biggrin:

-Dennis

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S"
56 Posts
The big deal with 5W-30 oils is with turbo charged Subarus. You can read all about it by searching the net. I agree NA Subarus dont need anything too special. I use Rotella T-5 10w-30 in my NA cars and outdoor power equipment with great results. I got the last batch at AAP for $13.99 a gallon. Walmart has it right arount $20/gal most of the time. Great oil at a great price.

·
Registered
06 forester x 5 MT
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I don't think you need any Mobil1 in an n/a Subaru

How can anyone keep calm while they're listening to Rancid? :biggrin:
-Dennis
I use Mobil 1 due to the 100+ heat we get in this area and because my drive to work is only 4.5 miles each way. And, my employer reimburses me for the first $30 of my oil change expense for using my Suby for company errands. (So I basically pay $0 for an OC if I do it myself)
:Banane17:

You gotta check out the Let the Dominoes Fall album!

·
Banned
2014 Forester XT CVT
157 Posts
"Oil is oil" until you take into account the chemical additives that are added to formulate the various branded oils.

That being said, pretty much any oil will do for a naturally aspired 4 banger that sees regular low mileage oil changes. The same cannot be said for the turbo charged engines or naturally aspired one that get flogged and seldom get their oil (and oil filters) changed. In these, use synthetic or a higher quality oil formulated for gasoline engines - the chemical mix for diesel engines is different for their different needs and the fact that they don't have a catalytic converter that could be plugged up from oil chemical blow by.

I use Mobil1 oil on our TX-Touring and GT3 - get it at WallyMao. I'd did use Rotella in my old RSR replica - no cat and for its older style cams/rockers. If you are considering Rotella T6, you should also look into Chevron's Delo 400 - another high quality heavy duty which is available at most Costcos.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,682 Posts
I use Mobil 1 due to the 100+ heat we get in this area and because my drive to work is only 4.5 miles each way. And, my employer reimburses me for the first $30 of my oil change expense for using my Suby for company errands. (So I basically pay $0 for an OC if I do it myself)

:Banane17:

You gotta check out the Let the Dominoes Fall album!

Thanks for the tip!

Actually, if you want to go with a more robust oil (without jumping up a grade) Mobil1 5-30 High Mileage has a higher High Temp High Shear, thicker viscosity at 100C, and ZDDP levels the same as Mobil1 0W-40. So oil is not oil, even among two Mobil1 5W-30's.

-Dennis

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts