Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Should I use Mobil 1 synthetic or keep shopping?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Subie dealership recommended Mobil 1. I then found it on special at very local parts shop.

Should I be a M1 man or keep looking. I can't afford Motul or Amsoil. Affordable and good is what I am looking for.

Thanks

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,257 Posts
Modern dino oils have improved so much why not run just run them. Then add what you save to your mod money fund.
Just my 2¢.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read about the "german" oil. Do I just walk into a store and ask if they have german castrol?

It is my concern for this lovely -30+ weather in Calgary that has made me want to switch. If I lived in Comox then dino would do until 100k+

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,124 Posts
I have read about the "german" oil. Do I just walk into a store and ask if they have german castrol?
Its just 0W-30 Castrol Syntec. German Castrol only comes in the 0W-30. On the back it will say..."Made in Germany".

Mobil 1 is no better now than any other so called "Fully Synthetic" oil.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
87 Posts
Modern dino oils have improved so much why not run just run them. Then add what you save to your mod money fund.
Just my 2¢.
Science is your friend when trying to get the most out of your motor. Why use inferior oil to save 2 bucks a quart every six months?

I run M1 0w-40 in my DD for the last 120k miles. Runs perfect, even today at 202K!

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I used dino in my NA for the first 3k km, then switched to Mobil1 5w30, last change @ 30k km I switched to Castrol Syntec 5w30. I don't notice a difference, maybe a touch less lifter noise but that could be mindtricks..
I know they aren't real synthetics but I'm ok with that.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
+1 for 0W-30 Castrol Syntec. I used to use only Mobil 1, and my UOA's improved notably after switching to GC.

·
Registered
05 WRX STI
200 Posts
I found out that turbo Subies use oil if using the wrong oil. I started with a Motul 5w30 and found it was a thin oil for a 30 weight . And trying to get to the bottom of my oil usage a local Subaru performance shop told me not to run Mobil 1 in the turbo cars and also pointed out that the race prepared STI they had sitting outside with a blown motor was the result of using Mobil 1! Needless to say they do not use or recommend Mobil in a Subaru.
The key thing here is that a turbo car should use Euro Spec oil rated as ACEA A3 rated. I use Motul 5w40 during the winter and Valvoline Max life 10w40 during the summer . Both are rated ACEA A3.
I think the other thing here is that some of the Energy saving oils are thin and should not be used in the turbo cars because they tend to use oil with these kinds of oil!

·
Administrator
29,431 Posts
How can I use a 0W30 if the car calls for 5W30?
Keep in mind that the first number in oil weight represents cold viscosity and the second one represents viscosity at operating temp. Thus a 0W-30 oil is no thinner at operating temp than a 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil. The 0W-30 just doesn't thicken as much in cold temps as the other weights, which is actually advantageous if you live in a cold climate.

Sift through the sticky a little... lots of good info on choosing synth oils in there: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f113/synthetic-motor-oil-discussion-38348/

·
Registered
2008 Forester sports xt
108 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 in all of my cars and in my girl friends car (she drives for her job ~40k miles/year) and no problems. I get it at Costco when it's on coupon $20-25 for 6 qt.

·
Administrator
29,431 Posts
Yep, everyone will have an opinion when it comes to oil... IMHO the best thing you can do is pick a brand, run it for a couple of oil change intervals, and then send a sample out for a UOA to see how your engine likes it.

Mobil 1 did the job for over 90k miles on my car, but I did occasionally have consumption issues after a good flogging, and the shearing to something more akin to a 20 weight started to worry me as the engine was aging. This was my last UOA on Mobil 1: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/219388-post71.html

My first UOA after switching to GC, note the difference: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/552033-post156.html

1 - 20 of 42 Posts