Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Folks! Its that time of the year again!

MMP DOES NOT LOAN OUT HELMETS ANYMORE! IT IS $25 TO RENT!

WOW is offered on the second Wednesday of every month from April to October, starting April 14, from 5:30-8:30 pm.

Registration is anytime during the WOW Event. So if your late you can still race.

Wed, Apr 14th
Wed, May 12th
Wed, June 9th
Wed, July 14th
Wed, Aug 11th
Wed, Sep 8th
Wed, Oct 13th

For $25 take your street-legal vehicle for a spin around one of our challenging, but safe, tracks. We have some precautions in place to keep you and everyone else safe, but it will be one of the most memorable experiences in your life.

Think you have what it takes to race against the clock? For just $1 you can take your vehicle through our autocross course. Go as many times as you want for just $1 per run.

For $35, you can run unlimited laps on the big track and on the autocross course, or at least until you run out of gas!

Another way to satisfy your need for speed is our 10 for $10 karting experience. For just $10 you can take 10 laps on Miller Motorsports Park's world-class kart track.

If you are more into the off-road scene, then Off-Road Ruckus is right up your alley! Bring your four-wheel-drive/off-road vehicle and test your skills on our challenging off-road course. The cost for this exciting adventure is just $20.

"Facility and Museum tours will be given free of charge. See one of the greatest collections of racing vehicles in the world, and get an inside look at the finest facility in North America."

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, who's coming?
This is an amazing deal guys. You get to drive a world class track for chump change. Sure, you only get one run at a time, but that's perfect for daily drivers that need some time to cool off.
The track layout is awesome. They set up cones to keep you speed down (sub 100) and make for more interesting layout. It's like autoX mixed in with the track. Here's a video of last year.

And one in cockpit view of the track:

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Considering I pay around $125 for 2 hours of lapping , $25 is a steal ! You'll use more in fuel consumption alone.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I'd love to do it! My only track experience is on the really technical Pacific raceways course. One mistake there and your in the trees. Plus you can hit 140 on the straight, which is pretty scary when you have a turn coming up on you.

Phil-

Got an extra couch to crash on? Maybe I can come out for a few days, hit the track, do some mountain biking, and "maybe" visit my sister and her new baby on my way home!

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course! I just bought a new house so I have plenty of room now. Not to mention this is the last week of school (I'm a teacher) so I'm free for the rest of the summer! :woohoo:

I'd love to show up with two Foz's. I'm usually the only Forester who shows up, though there are several awesome ones in town.
Keep in mind though that later in the summer things get more busy so you might only get 7 laps in on the main track. However, the Auto X is largely empty.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
^ Do it !

If you're hitting 140mph coming up to a corner you should be running something other than street pads. Fading out coming into a corner isn't fun (or safe).

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
^ Do it !

If you're hitting 140mph coming up to a corner you should be running something other than street pads. Fading out coming into a corner isn't fun (or safe).
I was on sticky summer tires and track pads. Braking was decent, it was just the fact yuor driving at speeds well above what you normally see that is a bit intimidating, even with an instructor in the car.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Good stuff, street pads are ok for just casually driving around the track but they fade quickly if you push it at all. Whaddaya run for track pads ? There are a ton of great options and a lot of it is personal preference on how the pads behave, I just used up my Porterfield R4's and have started working on wearing out a new set. You'll get used to the speeds with a few more lapping days under your belt : ) What's interesting to me is how quickly you'll get accustomed to the much higher than street legal speeds. There are many corners where it felt like I'm crawling coming out of corners, looking back at video I'm well into 3rd gear which means more like 80mph. Feels like your doing 20mph through a parking lot entrance.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
The guy I went with brought a bunch of EBC pads. Not exactly sure which ones, but they destroyed a set of Centric rotors pretty quickly.

I can see how tracking all the tiem would get pretty expensive. Tires, rotors and pads all seem to wear out pretty quick.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to mention brake fluid flushes and oil changes which should be done every track day. With the WOW events I do it every other since the laps are so short.
You also burn through a good amount of fuel.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Not to mention brake fluid flushes and oil changes which should be done every track day. With the WOW events I do it every other since the laps are so short.
You also burn through a good amount of fuel.
I also changed the trammy fluid and at $10 a qt, it gets very expensive! It was $350 for the class, and I spent another $200 on fuel and fliuds. Luckily I got pads/rotors and tires for free, because it would have been a $1000 weekend.

The single lap then rest sounds like it would be much easier on the car.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
The guy I went with brought a bunch of EBC pads. Not exactly sure which ones, but they destroyed a set of Centric rotors pretty quickly.

I can see how tracking all the tiem would get pretty expensive. Tires, rotors and pads all seem to wear out pretty quick.
Rotor wear is very dependant on pads. Some pads destroy rotors in a single track day. The R4's are very easy on rotors, I started with a new set last summer and just replaced them this weekend.

Its not cheap to go lapping but it doesn't have to be uber expensive either. I started with a new set of RA-1's last summer, there's plenty of meat remaining and they'll last this summer no problem. You can easily lap with OEM STI cast off's. Worn RE70's are still excellent on the track. I went through a set of race pads last summer, they lasted for a driving school this May and were done. For rotors, I don't see the point in buying those expensive DBA's , cryo treated etc.... I buy the cheap Chinese ones and they last an entire season then I replace them at the start of every track season. Brake fluid, I purge about 8 inches of fluid per corner to get out what's burnt up and use about 1.5 bottles of Superblue each season.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was there this past Wednesday, where were you dude??? Definitely gonna make this a regular hang. I did 5 passes and 2 autocross runs for 27 bucks haha, 30 cars there tops. Wished they timed the track runs though but it was fun getting sideways.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
You lucky SOB's.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was there this past Wednesday, where were you dude??? Definitely gonna make this a regular hang. I did 5 passes and 2 autocross runs for 27 bucks haha, 30 cars there tops. Wished they timed the track runs though but it was fun getting sideways.

Damn man, haven't heard from you in a long time! I missed this week due to lots of miscellaneous projects to the new house. I just couldn't get ready in time.
You planning on next month? Let me know, it'll be a blast to rally our Foresters.
Most people time themselves. I had the girlfriend time me from the stands, sometimes I time myself with a wrist stopwatch. Not super accurate, but close.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last one coming up. Who's planning on coming?
The last event is always fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts