Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was taking my rear coilovers off today, going back to standard, and I noticed that I have one KYB Excel G - Looks newish. Can just make out a part number in the pic, 334192:

And this is the OEM one I need to replace

It seems from the KYB thread, that the KYB part I have is non SLS. Can anyone tell me if the Subaru shock I have above is SLS?

Pic of the two together:

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That KYB part number appears to be the Rear Left. But it was always fitted on the Rear Right or my passenger side. Is that correct, Rear right means passenger side on a UK car?

·
Registered
00 00 type r, 02x, 03xt Manual
168 Posts
They are non sls looking at pictures, as sls have additional resevoir. Right and left can be interchanged, just means brake line bracket is a wee bit off.

It looks like you will need a upper spring cushion and gaitor.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The OEM one on the right is an SLS according to the part number, and as far as I was aware, the additional reservoir was only on the SG SLS's. Its also ruined. Its ben leaking for a while, and does knock, which is why I need a replacement.

What I am keen to find out, is if I can get another KYB to match that one, or if the previous owner has stuffed it up my not changing the spring with that non SLS replacement. From what I remember, it was quite low on that KYB side, which mean he probably hasn't.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, so here is the plan. If anyone feels it incorrect please let me know.

I'm going to buy one KYB Excel G strut, part number KY334191, and a pair of springs part number RA5761, because it looks like the springs on there at the moment are standard SLS setup, and should be replaced.

I know its recommended to buy suspension componements in pairs, but the KYB on there now looks in great condition.

I'm going to buy thse parts from 2 different vendors, so before I bite the bullet, could someone confirm its my plan looks good?

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,944 Posts
Right, so here is the plan. If anyone feels it incorrect please let me know.

I'm going to buy one KYB Excel G strut, part number KY334191, and a pair of springs part number RA5761, because it looks like the springs on there at the moment are standard SLS setup, and should be replaced.

I know its recommended to buy suspension componements in pairs, but the KYB on there now looks in great condition.

I'm going to buy thse parts from 2 different vendors, so before I bite the bullet, could someone confirm its my plan looks good?

·
Registered
2005 XTe M
36 Posts
It may just be the picture, but the spring on the Excel-G strut looks thicker than the one on the SLS strut?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice. Thanks all for the advice.

Dai, it must be the picture, so I went and double checked with an adjustable spanner. Both are 13mm. I always assumed they were standard, as they both had the same markings. A pink splodge of paint, and a blue splodge. Unless they were from the breakers or something.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
The paint code is for non SLS springs, so while that side may have sat lower it's not due to an 'SLS spring' which is visually much thinner.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All sorted now. Got the new springs and KYB struts all matched up. Feels like a monster truck now, which is not a bad thing as thats one of the reasons I got the Foz in the first place. Just can't drive over other cars though.
From floor to arch I've got 740mm on the rear, thats on 16's.
thanks for al the advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts