Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Misfires and cam position issue?

('09-'13) 
910 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dave5358 
#1 ·
I'm recently getting cylinder 1 and 3 misfires as well as a cam position A bank 1 code. Everything was working fine a few days ago. I recently did an oil change and used Mobil 1 synthetic and a K&N oil filter. Any chance that is causing my problem or somehow damaged my cam? I've got an appointment to take it to Subaru next week but if I could fix it before that I'd love to. I checked the avcs solenoids and they seem to be working fine. I haven't checked the timing belt or cam pulleys yet. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I'm recently getting cylinder 1 and 3 misfires as well as a cam position A bank 1 code. Everything was working fine a few days ago. I recently did an oil change and used Mobil 1 synthetic and a K&N oil filter. Any chance that is causing my problem or somehow damaged my cam?
Mobil-1 should work fine. What weight oil did you use? What brand/weight oil were you using before? I'm no fan of K&N oil filters, but it should work (or, at least, not cause the problems you're having). Or, if you can get a genuine Subaru oil filter, put it on. Criminy, they're pretty cheap.

Is the engine under-cover off or on? If on, why not remove it and look for any leaks.

What year vehicle do you have? What is your mileage? When was the last time you changed the plugs? Contrary to Subaru's instructions, plugs don't last forever - 30-40K and it's probably time for a change. If you're beyond 105k miles, has the timing belt been serviced? Just the belt? Or, the belt plus all of the rotating parts on the front of the engine?

Look around the engine compartment for vacuum leaks - displaced vacuum line, broken plastic pipe on a vacuum gizmo, etc. Maybe one got broken or a vacuum hose displaced during the oil change.

Is the oil filler cap properly tightened? Gas cap?

Do you have an OBD-II reader eraser? If so, clear the codes and see if they come back. Maybe your Subaru is punishing you for using the K&N oil filter ;-)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.