Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i fix these minor shallow scratches on my new foz? 2 areas affected. see pictures below.

scratch 1
link1 link2 link3

scratch 2
link1 link2

note: got my foz feb 6, '10. havent done any car washing or anything on it. it's winter wonderland here. can't really do any thorough cleaning.

i was thinking, wait it out til summer then do (my first ever) claying and perhaps it might fix it????
kindly help out a noob. ideas, suggestions? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A good cleaner wax should remove or hide it. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

can i use these 2? or should i really be looking for a 'cleaner wax' and not this nxt tech wax 2.0?

also, how should i proceed? can i just - clean/wash the 'problem' area, get rid of the scratch then wax just that area? <- can i get away with this? .....or is that a big no-no and that i shld be waiting for a good day to wash the whole car, rid of the scratch then wax the whole car? my plan is just to get rid of these minor scratches asap. i hate seeing it. :(

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
also, how should i proceed? can i just - clean/wash the 'problem' area, get rid of the scratch then wax just that area? <- can i get away with this? .....or is that a big no-no and that i shld be waiting for a good day to wash the whole car, rid of the scratch then wax the whole car? my plan is just to get rid of these minor scratches asap. i hate seeing it. :(
This should be fine to do as long as you do add the final wax to the paint to protect it. Once the weather changes just wash and wax the FOZ. You'll be fine. As far as a cleaner wax goes I have been and still use Zymol HD Cleanse. The stuff works great. The other day someone opened a door into mine. It didn't ding amazingly, but did scuff/scratch the paint. The Zymol removed/fixed the problem area and I waxed over it. All good again!!!
It actually got me in the mood so I waxed the entire vehicle. :crazy:

Zymol link.........ZYMOL HD-CLEANSE 8.5 oz.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,930 Posts
can i use these 2? or should i really be looking for a 'cleaner wax' and not this nxt tech wax 2.0?

I would start with the least abrasive & move up to the rubbing compound. Be careful with the more abrasive stuff! You don't want to strip off the clearcoat... that would look worse than the scratches! :icon_eek: A rubbing compound doesn't normally contain a wax, so you need to wax any area you apply it to. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,365 Posts
how can i fix these minor shallow scratches on my new foz? 2 areas affected. see pictures below.

scratch 1
link1 link2 link3
Funny, I have almost an exact duplicate scratch on my FXT (rear passenger arc). A gift from a dirty construction cone. You know, the slim orange tube.

I can't comment on the 3M since I haven't sample the product. Scratch-X, on the other hand, yes, and the result could be yes and no. While it did well on light & ultra fine scuff marks, it does nothing for this particular wound. I guess the cut was too deep. The only remedy so far is covering it up. For that, Eagle One's Nanowax seems to do the trick. Of course, as soon as the product wears off, the mark reappears. I haven't got down to the point where I'm comfortable using power tools yet. I'm sure that would take care of it. For now, a filler will do.

Good luck. Let us know which method/product work for you.

·
Registered
SH10 2.5X Premium 4EAT
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep will do! but not gonna touch it anytime soon. i think ima wait til summer comes on. it's really cold up in here! :huh:

·
Registered
2009 Forester X
8 Posts
Has anyone tried "fix it" as seen on tv stuff? There are some shallow scratches on mine and I am not brave enough to use abrasive stuff.
Has anyone had success with this?

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
Before trying any of the treatments or compounds, just get a good microfiber towel, wet it, and rub the area like the dickens for a few minutes. What looks like a scratch may just be something that rubbed itself ONTO the clearcoat.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X Prem
308 Posts
Before trying any of the treatments or compounds, just get a good microfiber towel, wet it, and rub the area like the dickens for a few minutes. What looks like a scratch may just be something that rubbed itself ONTO the clearcoat.
....do that and you will just induce marring. A product like Scratch-X (as Lovesubaru mentioned) is perfect for this sort of thing and works well by hand. Whether its transfer or light scratches, it will get the job done.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X Prem
308 Posts
Induce marring?

I don't think so. Microfiber is used to clean eyeglasses, lol.
….unlike glass, Subaru paint is relatively soft. You’re entitled to your opinion, but using a MF towel lubricated with just water and then “rubbing the area like the dickens for a few minutes” will certainly cause marring to the finish. It is far better (safer) to use a clay bar or an appropriate polish to clean up the transfer. A polish will also help correct any scratches/abrasions caused from the original incident.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts