Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, Horary for the new home!

Now on to the good stuff. This year the MNSubaru guys planned out an ice racing event way up north on the state. One of our members owns a nice little resort place up about 1.5 hours north-west of Duluth, MN on a very large lake.

I was the only Forester going (mods: STI RSB: Snorkus delete: Hakkaplettiia RSI tires). There were a couple of RS's, and a bunch of WRX's and STI's. All toll, probably about 20 or so cars. 12 of us caravanned up there from Minneapolis, and of course had a fun time doing that. Watching all the people look over funny because they were being passed by hood scoop after hood scoop.

When we got up there it was about 11:30pm, but we went out to the track anyway just to have some fun runs in the dark. The real fun started the next day. We got up, and did more fun runs for a couple of hours. There were two tracks. One large oval for some drifting fun, and the actual track. Spent a lot of time on both, but on the real track I had my "incident." I was a bit overzealous going into a turn, and ended up plowing diagonally into a frozen snow bank at about 20-30mph. The snow did give way, so no major damage, but it was hard enough to misalign one of my factory fogs, rip off 3 of my four accessory fogs (somehow though, they all survived just fine), Ripped off both of those little mud flap things in front of the front tires, broke/ripped about 80% of the front right wheel well splash guard thing off, about 40% of the front left one, and put a nice big crack on the right side of my bumper cover.

That whole part sucked, but if you want to play, you gotta pay. So I kept on going (albeit a little more carefully). The track was getting super slick from everyone polishing it up, which made it more and more fun. After a while we got around to timing everyone’s runs. My first was a 1:17:50 or so. (I know this means nothing since you haven't seen the track). After some more runs I started to get stuff figured out, and got down to the 1:13 area, then started to push a bit harder, and got down to the 1:10, and by the end of the day was running consistent 1:08's. As of that day, The FXT was the fastest thing out there (aside from a rally prepped 2.5RS with studded tires, which was only 2 seconds faster). As best as I could tell the median time for the track was probably around 1:15 or so.

Of course, the Forester was the center of attention, and we gained a lot more respect in the MN community :twisted:

Pictures and videos should be coming in the next week or so when people get them uploaded, etc... When that happens I'll post em up here for the world to see. Later today I'll try to get pics of my bumper up here. It's not really that bad, and doesn't keep me from driving. Just a major aesthetic annoyance.

UPDATE: Pictures (more on the way as they come in)

Whats left of my 4 accessory fogs after my incident:

My front right wheel well:

My Front Right bumper cover:

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Wish I could have been there, do you recall the lake name? Gunflint lake would be about 1.5 hours away.

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks about right

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BUMP for pictures added to main thread

T

·
0 Posts
That certainly looked like a good time. That blue Impreza that was high centered had an interesting liscence plate. I wonder if he was talking about himself? :lol:

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm adjusting wonderfully. I'm workin in a theatre here, loving that, and having fun with the local subaru group.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/wintertyres_en

Nokian, IMHO are the best snow's you can get right now. I have the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi(roughly pronounced Hakka-pleat-a). It's slightly better on ice than the Hakka (for short) 2, but the 2 is a bit better in deeper snow. Living in/around a city they plow roads, and I encounter more ice, so I went with the RSI's. Thats not to say the RSI's aren't great in the snow cuz they are. I drove through snow that was about 7" deep just fine. They're just a bit better on ice.

For the FXT, IIRC, I have 205/60-16. I went with a slightly more narrow tire because it does better in the snow than a wider one.

·
Mexican Lorider
2004 FXT 5MT
439 Posts
Trikster said:
That certainly looked like a good time. That blue Impreza that was high centered had an interesting liscence plate. I wonder if he was talking about himself? :lol:
What do you think? I mean c'mon Minnesota car club banner with Wisconsin plates.... :lol:

M...Glad to hear you're doing OK...BTW the local Old Chicago meets have been moved back to TGIF starting this weekend. Looks like it might be in the 70's when it starts... :)

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm planning on coming down there sometime in the next few months. Just gotta find a week that I have off. When I figure it all out, I'll see if I can swing by there and see y'all.

D

·
0 Posts
SnowMan said:
Trikster said:
What do you think? I mean c'mon Minnesota car club banner with Wisconsin plates.... :lol:

M...Glad to hear you're doing OK...BTW the local Old Chicago meets have been moved back to TGIF starting this weekend. Looks like it might be in the 70's when it starts... :)
I was wondering about local Suby meetings. I was a member of a Ford club in the past and it was nice because the average age was late 20s. When I have been to other meets I have felt like a senior citizen. :lol:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
177 Posts
If distance wasn't an issue, I would have also been present. The whole time, I thought Bikerboy was the one scoring the top times. Man, you've outclassed me by a large margin. :( I should stick to drag racing. :p

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^Hah, well you should try to get up to the next one. Between the two of us we can lay total shame to all of em up there, and possibly even Rich ;)

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
LOL..looks much the same damage to your Subie as the subies from our ice auto-x..

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, got another one happening on the 24th and 25th of this month. Very excited. Especially with the new springs and brakes.

Do you have any pics from your auto-x?

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
here's a few for you..hehe

For us we have wheel to wheel ice racing as well and ice auto-x. this one you can tell that there is no way he got up there himself..hehe had a little help..

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
here is a few of the ice racing that went on..Enjoy!

Here is another angle of the back of the car taht had a little help...

And here is the culprit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts