Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles is everyone getting with a full tank of gas?

I’m averaging 420 miles. The tank is rated to hold 16.5 gallons but fuel light comes on at 14.5 gallons.

What the most anyone’s drove before stalling out?

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn’t asking that, I simply Asking how many miles can you drive on one full tank.

·
Administrator
17,728 Posts
@Ur2a

You actually did ask that:
What the most anyone’s drove before stalling out?
The response did not include a distance but noted that they have never stalled out.

Perhaps you could describe the conditions under which you are assessing the distance?

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
550 Posts
As I would never, ever let the tank run low enough to totally run out, I get about 390 to 400 depending on the weight of my foot on the gas pedal. I have seen winter months miles be lower. Now, my car is modified so that will reduce my MPG no matter what time of year it is but even with the mobifications I do pretty well on mileage. My car is 3 years old now with an odometer that just turned 16k so I do not drive it that much.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Ur2a

You actually did ask that:

The response did not include a distance but noted that they have never stalled out.

Perhaps you could describe the conditions under which you are assessing the distance?
@Kevin

Let me rephrase this entire question.

I’m a proud owner of a 19 Forester. I get on average 420 miles on one tank of gas. My manual said the tank has a capacity of 16.6 gallons, but my fuel light comes on when I have only drained 14.5 gallons. So here’s what I’m simply asking:

- What the most distance anyone’s gotten out of their Forester before the fuel light turns on?
- Has any one pushed their Forester after the fuel light turned on and how far did you get before you ran out.

Hope this helped clarify my thread.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
315 Posts
The closest I have run the tank down was to 3/8 tank. It took 11.0 gallons to fill after 340 miles.

We had driven over the mountains to our old homestead, and when we left to come home, the gas gauge had just dropped off 1/2 tank to 3/8. We only had 110 miles to go (over 2-lane mountain roads), so I figured we could make it home. I was surprised that over the next 110 miles, the gas gauge stayed on 3/8. Worried that maybe there was a problem, I filled up when we got home. We had gone 340 miles on that tank and I guess there were still 5 gallons in the tank. At our normal 28-30MPG, I guess we could have safely gone 400 miles before the last couple of gallons.

I think I remember seeing in the owner's manual that the low gas light would go on with about 2 gallons remaining. I personally, don't like the tank to ever go below 1/2.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
24 Posts
I always refill when light starts to flash. Dashboard tracker shows that 30 miles is to empty. On average, I drive ~340 miles, each refill takes ~14.4 gallons. 2019 Forester Touring, Florida.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,636 Posts
@Ur2a -
What someone else gets in mileage doesn't mean you should expect it yourself, so an answer to that question doesn't mean much.

MPG and MPT (miles per tank) are outcomes depending on a lot of factors that vary from one driver and even one drive from another.
High speeds (really anything above 60) are going to start reducing your MPGs and over 75 it will drop a lot.
Driving in the city with stop and go isn't equivalent to riding on a rural highway.
Driving up a mountain isn't the same as driving on a level road.

What you report seems to be a pretty normal average.
Your 14.5 gallons getting you 420 on the tank is just about 29, which is actually very good for that car assuming mixed mode driving.

Your rated tank capacity includes air space so that the fuel can expand when it gets warmer.
If the tank were taken off the car and completely drained, you could not put 16.4 in the tank.
When your low fuel light comes on, most Subaru's have about 1.9 to 2 usable gallons left.
If you are putting in 14.5 you very likely would have been stuck on the road about 30 miles further, as you'd have about another 1 gallon left.

I can get 35 mpg in my MY '12 doing 50 in the flats. Driving at 80 on the interstate I'm lucky to get 20 mpg.
The Subaru isn't an incredibly high MPG vehicle - It's an AWD with more running gear and that costs extra fuel to run.
It's also a roomier high profile car so it suffers at high speeds because of wind resistance.

There are other factors as well - Not keeping your tires properly inflated or putting on tires with aggressive treads will increase rolling resistance and lower your MPG.
Raising the suspension increases the wind resistance.
Even the difference between summer and winter has an impact, both in terms of the air density you are driving through, and the fuel blend you are burning while doing it.

To echo what others have said, do yourself (and your car) a favor by not intentionally running out of fuel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts