Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
'15 Forester XT Super CVT
150 Posts
Don't think a petition would do it as they already know about the problem and seem to be choosing to ignore it. If nothing happens this week with sriramk's car then I'd suggest we start upping the ante. Maybe we should all first start filing complaints with the nhtsa https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ to start and raise some flags. If that also doesn't work it may be time to reach out to the same lawfirm that handled the last case.

·
Registered
2014 FXT Touring CVT
253 Posts
Experienced this issue for the first time beg of last month but didnt think much of it as it only happened that one time. Now its happening every day for the past week or so. Temps are getting warmer here in Dallas..it's been in the mid to upper 90's lately.

I received the ECU reflash in April.

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,193 Posts
for sure! ^^ i was merely getting at the fact that i think its tune related, not CVT. so a manual trans XT would still have the same problem (although it may present itself slightly differently faik).

also since the issue really pulls at my curiosity...i was also reading a thing on cobbs site talking about the update and how it effects Protuners. while overall its different from what most of you are concerned with...there is mention of "This includes changes for the pre-ignition issue and has other additional calibration and logic updates from Subaru." and then mentions new tables in the tune for closed loop fueling targets...based on coolant temp. related..... maybe yay, maybe nay.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
22 Posts
Did anyone try bringing up the TSB with the dealer to see if it's related?

I'll post it again:
TSB 11-164-1: Surging Condition During High Ambient Temperatures
This bulletin announces the availability of reprogramming files to optimize the ECM. These files will address customer concerns of a slight surging / decrease in engine power condition on light acceleration during high ambient temperatures.
I looked for this on the NHTSA website but it's not up yet, seems fairly recent. Not able to get more details as I don't have a techinfo subscription.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
2 Posts
Hey Guys, I've actually been having the same issues with my car and have been in contact with SoA with no luck either. Thus far they've tried changing the gas, changing the ecu programming with what sounds like that TSB that was mentioned and even swapping the whole engine and harness assembly out. Still experiencing the issue which is unnerving to say the least. At this point Subaru is trying to give the car back to me and telling me that there are no issues with my car. Not really sure what to do at this point, but it looks like I'm in the same boat as you guys. The more the merrier?

·
Registered
2014 Forester
2 Posts
Hey Guys, just wanted to update everyone; I reached out to Kyle over at Camelback Subaru as another member in this topic had said he had a lot of success in reproducing the problem. He instructed me that the best way of reproducing the problem is this...
1) Change the MFD to accelerator position so that you can see the gauge on the display; should be % Accel or something like that
2) Hold at 30% position while going up a slight incline
3) It is hot in AZ so they don't really have this issue, but I've found that it is more pronounced when it is hotter outside with the A/C on full blast.
4) Experience awful bucking action

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,193 Posts
everyone should do that test then. do it in each drive mode, and also test mult TPS%s. for fun, im gonna bet it pops up usually around 20% throttle, at 2500rpm in one of the sportier modes. higher TPS% in "I".

·
Registered
2016 XT
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Did anyone try bringing up the TSB with the dealer to see if it's related?

I'll post it again:
TSB 11-164-1: Surging Condition During High Ambient Temperatures

I looked for this on the NHTSA website but it's not up yet, seems fairly recent. Not able to get more details as I don't have a techinfo subscription.
This deffo sounds like the problem that were all having. Can anybody confirm 100% that this is in regards to the forester XT? and or have a copy of this? Called into the local stealer and asked about this and surprise they have never heard of the problem let alone the fix. But in saying that, Oz had the flash for pinging etc long before the US did :shrug:

I believe they did apply this to my car, but it didn't solve the issue.

Are you 100% sure they applied this to your XT? If so it doesn't fill me with much confidence. :frown2: this TSB was released on the 2nd of May it that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2016 XT
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Hey Guys, I've actually been having the same issues with my car and have been in contact with SoA with no luck either. Thus far they've tried changing the gas, changing the ecu programming with what sounds like that TSB that was mentioned and even swapping the whole engine and harness assembly out. Still experiencing the issue which is unnerving to say the least. At this point Subaru is trying to give the car back to me and telling me that there are no issues with my car. Not really sure what to do at this point, but it looks like I'm in the same boat as you guys. The more the merrier?
I suspect that you've had all of this done as part of the recall for the detonation problems.

Are you now suffering from the mild surging since the work was done or did you have the same surging before that?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
4 Posts
Add me to the list...2015 Forester XT. Took it in for the problem initially, flashed the updated ECM code. Still having the same issue.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,785 Posts
everyone should do that test then. do it in each drive mode, and also test mult TPS%s. for fun, im gonna bet it pops up usually around 20% throttle, at 2500rpm in one of the sportier modes. higher TPS% in "I".
What's interesting to me is that it is a problem for both 2.5i and turbo. Mine is deteriorating; occuring on more cold starts and in more dramatic ways.

·
Registered
'15 Forester XT Super CVT
150 Posts
Has anyone had their car put through learning cycle or had the plugs changed; and did either of those things help?
Yep and nope. It was done as part of the recall. Had the plugs changed and ecu reset. Still had the problem. Swapped the engine, still had the problem. It's either the CVT or the Torque Converter and it's probably a much larger problem then they want to let on / will cost them a fortune to repair.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
27 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have been experiencing this irregular acceleration surge and sudden loss of power while passing since last couple of months actually but it has been very randam. Probably 1 or 2 times every 10 rides. Now, I have been following the posts here and I wasn't even aware of the recall until I went to the dealership for regular maintenance. I explained them the problem and they agreed that its a known problem and the recall (ECM re-flash) would fix this.

From the 2nd ride after the re-flash, I have been experiencing this surge in every ride where I'm on the freeway travelling at >65 mph and when the ride lasts atleast 20 mins. So basically what happens is like everyone here is experiencing, when I'm keeping my acceleration steady at around 20% (~2k-2.5k RPM) thats when I sudden loss of power followed by these surges which would result in jerky motions. I went my dealership again lucky for me, they knew what I was talking about. I have been working with Kyle, the service manager at Camelback Subaru (AZ) ever since I got my Forester and he is a great guy and very knowledgeable. I was afraid of what I would do if the dealership asked me to demonstrate the issue because of its intermittent nature. But luckily, Kyle knows about the problem and he even knows how to recreate the problem.

Long story short, SOA is sending in some field engineers to the dealership next week where they would do some testing on the cars and possible come up with a solution soon. I'm feeling hopeful. So hang in there.
Quick update:

Dealership contacted me today and gave me update that the engineers have come up with an initial patch which they are experimenting on test cars. Later on it takes about 10 days to get the patch approved through EPA. So in Kyle's exact words, "The fix is on the horizon. Hang tight"

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,785 Posts
Please let us know who is covered, when it comes out. I couldn't take it any more. It was to the point that every time I drove somewhere it was a stuttering horror show. "Solution"? Reset the ECU (unplugged battery for 10 minutes). That should give me a week (maybe a month) of unthrobby, choking driving.

·
Registered
2016 XT
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Quick update:

Dealership contacted me today and gave me update that the engineers have come up with an initial patch which they are experimenting on test cars. Later on it takes about 10 days to get the patch approved through EPA. So in Kyle's exact words, "The fix is on the horizon. Hang tight"
Thanks for the update.

I hope it sorts it and hopefully Subaru Oz makes it available here.

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
2015 FXT CVT
141 Posts
My wife keeps nagging me about this. I keep telling her, "eeeh, it's not that bad." I drove it today and it really is kinda annoying. I felt it new, but after the reflash, I haven't reallt driven it. 1500-1700 rpm seems to be the worst in "I" mode. Will I be wasting my time making a service appointment? I can recreate it easily, but we all know how techs can magically never see/hear/feel our complaints.

41 - 60 of 360 Posts