Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I find an exhaust for an 03 non turbo impreza? Nope :shrug:

Local motor factors cannot help as it's not pre 2000 and it's not a 1.8. Dealer prices are £209.81 +vat for the back box, and £135.40+vat for the mid pipe and I've not found anywhere else that can supply these. I’m struggling to find aftermarket stuff for a non turbo as well. I don’t want a decat or an tailpipe I can park another car inside. :icon_rolleyes:

Ok, I know these are not cheap cars to run, it's the original exhaust so maybe I should bite the bullet and pay, but any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated before the dealer empties my wallet.. :icon_sad:

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
Can I find an exhaust for an 03 non turbo impreza? Nope...
Same situation in the US for non turbo Foresters. Nobody makes a replacement muffler with pipe, that will bolt on in place of the stock one.

The solution here is to buy an aftermarket muffler (Magnaflow) and have it welded to a pipe that is custom bent with a flange welded on the front. It requires a shop that deals in that brand of muffler and is experienced in bending and welding stainless steel. The Magnaflow is smaller (5x8 oval) and louder than the Subaru muffler.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Phone exhaust uk in Sheff and ask if they can sort something.

Other than that, a back street exhaust place should be able to knock something up or repair it.

Kilnhurst Tyres - Google Maps

So far these guys have sorted mine out 3 times. Decent work and cheap.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, after being tied up with lots of other stuff I've got to do something with this now

Spoken to my MOT friend and the decat is not a problem, so I may as well get a system off the shelf

I like the look of this, plus they've been really helpful answering my email queries

Subaru4you - Subaru Impreza & Legacy Exhausts, Subaru Stainless steel exhaust back box Hayward & Scott Subaru Exhaust.
Subaru4you - Subaru Impreza & Legacy Exhausts, Subaru Stainless steel Impreza sport centre pipe decatted exhaust, Subaru performance exhaust, Hayward & Scott Subaru Exhaust.

But I spotted this and I can't ignore the difference in price.
SUBARU IMPREZA NEW AGE NON TURBO EXHAUST BACK BOX GDA on eBay (end time 31-Mar-10 15:10:07 BST)

From my experience with minis I know with budget items you end up paying twice, but the ebay back box 'looks' reasonable and they have good feedback which would suggest their stuff is ok.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Edit to add, I appreciate the suggestions, I've just not had (or got) the time to take the car in anywhere, but I will have chance to fit something myself if I can get it in the next week or so

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
All this decat stuff confuses me.
Is the thing on the center pipe of a '00 N/A a resonator ar a cat?
Are these decat center pipes just without this resonator/cat bit, or do they also get rid of the 2nd cat aswell?
How are they at MOT time without the 2nd cat?

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
mdg, this is the "ever-open" can of worms mate!!!! seems all MY exhausts are different (almost!). Underneath the floorpan there should be - 1 cat, 1 resonator, 1 rear muffler.

I think ???!

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My understanding on our n/a car is the 2 manifold pipes meet in a collector (or pre-cat?), then there is a second cat and silencer box in the centre pipe. A decat pipe is attached to the collector and removes the second cat and mid silencer box.

'Emissions test wont be a problem' is what my MOT tester friend told me, so I'd guess MOT stations can get a decatted car through if they try.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
My understanding on our n/a car is the 2 manifold pipes meet in a collector (or pre-cat?), then there is a second cat and silencer box in the centre pipe. A decat pipe is attached to the collector and removes the second cat and mid silencer box.

'Emissions test wont be a problem' is what my MOT tester friend told me, so I'd guess MOT stations can get a decatted car through if they try.
From the Impreza manual for both MY01 and MY04..............

The rear exhaust pipe (17) aka "centre pipe" only contains resonator chambers(11)
The centre exhaust pipe (25) has both cats (24&31).

Very similar to Mdg's '99 exhaust except he only has the front oxygen sensor (AKAIK)

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, so the bit I thought was a cat is a actually a chamber. Thanks for that :confused: :biggrin:

The hanger on part 17 is cracked so I've decided to get the decat pipe from from subaru4u then I'll offer it up and start undoing nuts accordingly. I'm hoping the rear silencer will survive removal and will go back on, if not I'll order a back box.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
So the pipe your fitting is the same as part 17, just without the 2 chambers. Correct?

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the pipe your fitting is the same as part 17, just without the 2 chambers. Correct?
Thats the plan. Will confirm when I've spoken to subaru4u parts chappie on monday and ordered.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decat pipe ordered, just a straight pipe with no chambers to replace the cracked pipe (17) and I'll use my old backbox. £85 + vat + £15 delivery. N/a stuff is make to order but there is a fair chance I'll get it in time for the easter weekend.

Fingers crossed it comes to bits :icon_eek:

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Need some advice

Got the new pipe (would highly recommend subaru4u) and it did come to bits ok with a little help from the grinder.

When I ordered the pipe I asked for gaskets but they were out of stock. They suggested the gaskets on the car could be reused, but I'm not sure about one of them. It fell to bits and is a mess so I would guess I need a new one but would be happy to be corrected.

Other thing I wondered is can I use exhaust paste on joint?

Thanks

Neil

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
The photographed joint has a cone gasket(donut) as it is flexible and allows for movement in the rest of the system (hence the springs).

Subaru Impreza Exhaust Cone Ring Gasket 44022AA122

You can use exhaust paste on the flat joint between the new pipe and the back box.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for that. Found the gasket attached to the pipe I took off. It's no good unfortunately though, broke into pieces when I tried to remove it.

Do you know what the flakey red stuff is on the joint in the picture? It doesn't look like rust, is it some kind of exhaust paste used along with the donut seal?

Cheers

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
As the "donut" was attached to the other pipe I would think someone has tried to fix a leak with some sort of exhaust paste.

The donut should remain tight on the front pipe the rear pipe pivots on it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts