Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester Automatic
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just throwing this out there. I get about 20.5 mpg on average.

Is this the norm for this car?

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT Premium 4EAT
229 Posts
Does it have a normally aspirated engine or is it a turbo? Mine (with turbo) gets 18 mpg's when driving hard uphill, and more like 22 average if I baby it.

David

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT Premium 4EAT
229 Posts
Just saw your other post. Welcome! This is a great place to learn about your car, and to share stories, as well. I think your mileage is about average for a turbo. Some people get worse mileage.
See you around,
David

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Welcome!

So incredibly depends on sooooo many factors.

How many miles your Foz has
Any modifications
What tires
Tire pressure
Tire wear
Driving style
Driving temperatures
Use of A/C
Maintenance of your Foz

The list goes on and on. For an N/A however that does seem to be a bit low. I get 24-26 mpg and that's with heavy steel rims and offroad tires.

·
Registered
2004 Forester Automatic
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok then it must be a turbo? What are the spec differences on the XT vs. reg? FYI, my new driving style and using a better gas station I am now getting 23.3 mpg on average.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
My 2004 2.5X (so non-turbo) gets on average for city driving 26 mpg. This is using 98 RON Octane Fuel and I take good care of my baby :)

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
62 Posts
I have a 04 XS with GoodYear Assurance Triple Treads and drive a lot between upstate NY and NorthEast PA.

I average in the winter 23 mpg and 24 to 25 in the summer. This last winter here had bad gas and less mpg, normally 24 in the winter.

Tire pressure normal.

I have a normal foot.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
95 Posts
Fuel Efficiency

2004 Forester X
Best mileage 28.77 Mpg
Worst 16.6

If I avearge the last 6 months I am hovering around 22 Mpg

89 Octane.

·
Registered
2004 LL Bean edition
5 Posts
2004 LL Bean edition

AVG - 26 MPG

never tried sipping it nor blasting it when checking mileage

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
ok then it must be a turbo? What are the spec differences on the XT vs. reg? FYI, my new driving style and using a better gas station I am now getting 23.3 mpg on average.
Are you using premium gas? It's required on the XT, and if you're using lower grade gas you're not only cheating yourself of the performance, but you also will not be getting optimal mpg.

Look here for the specs: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2004.html#specs

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
2004 X , auto 111k

Best 25.4 mpg
Worst 20.2 mpg

Avg is 22mpg as a daily driver 70% highway with lots of hills, avg speed 65mph and 80mph downhill. Using cruise control most of the time.

Tires: BFG Traction T/A 33/31 psi (front/rear).

·
Registered
2004 Forester Automatic
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you using premium gas? It's required on the XT, and if you're using lower grade gas you're not only cheating yourself of the performance, but you also will not be getting optimal mpg.
OK scratch that, mine is an XS. I use low grade gas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts