Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 3944 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
just found this thread...pics are really nice (we both have the blue).

anxious to see intake/exhaust pics..
Thanks man ... here ya go!

I know i know.... I need some TLC and cleaning under the hood here

I agree, really nice looking forester. How many cans of paint did it take for your wheels?
Friends all told me 4 cans did it, the site told me 2... so i compromised and bought 3 ... guess what? With proper prepping and even coating and patience, i used one whole can, and that was it. I have 2 full cans left.

Looks good,we have the same type grills,was told it is called a water fall grill, yours looks good painted.

those wheels came out sweet also.

nice job. mine is still box stock.
Thanks man! I appreciate the love!

Photos look awesome Mike!!
Thank you sir!

Updates:

-Ordered laminex Yellow film for my fogs and new 9006 4300k bulbs for them (currently have 3000k yellows, but i dont like the look of clear fogs)

-Ordered Whiteline rear street endlinks and Rear 22-24mm adjustable sway bar.

-UEL headers come monday in the mail.

-Payday is tuesday.. ordering the Stromung Tye XA Catback system

So i was contemplating custom fabbing a Heatsheild to isolate the intake filter. Ive seen pics of it done before, and from what i understand, all i need is a 1 foot by 1 foot (at least) piece of sturdy sheet metal, ... in other words, nothing too flimsy. Ive taken a trip to home depot and lowes, but to no avail, all they offer is flimsy sheet metal. Any advice of what type of shop or store would sell such metal? (talking like.. 1/8th inch thickness.)

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
soooo.. got my Ebay brola knock-off header tonight. It required me to re-drill some holes to make it fit correctly, and even when it was on, all the gaskets leaked and it fit generally like crap. Took it off and went back to stock. Have to say im fairly disappointed. Its angle doesnt want to let all 3 surfaces sit flush. Not even gasket sealer helped.

Pretty disappointed and discouraged right now. I spent about 3 hours modifying and then putting it back to stock, even having to use a different bolt on the head to get one flange on again (stocker was so rusted). 160$ pretty much thrown out the window :(

/rant

In better news, Endlinks came today, and swaybar comes friday. Im pretty excited for that!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Bummer, what brand was it, since I have a 2001 S I would like to know what to avoid.

I hope to start modding mine some next summer.
160$ ebay borla knockoff (UEL).... my advice... spend the extra $$$ and get the borla genuine one, even if it is 400$ .... its a garunteed fit. The header was like... just not sitting right... when one side was bolted on (halfway to allow play) , the other had to be FORCED to match up with its bolt holes. And then the cat flange met with a slight angle that cause the top to have a reall loud leak.

·
Registered
224 Posts
That sucks about the header. I bought a cheapy from ebay and its made it through a year or rallyx. I guess I got lucky. My Cobb equal length rusted through.

I've had a Borla header back in the day, they fit about the same. On both of the headers I had to pry, almost stretch, the header to get it on the studs. I bought some new gaskets because I read that ones that come with the header suck.

Another note. Your header probably leaked right from the start. After the header install I'll take the car for a drive and let everything get hot and then retorque the nuts. Come to think of it....my replica header had a leak until I retoqued it.

The blue forester is looking good, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
knowing gaskets were included, i expected they would leak. quality ones make a difference.

after i enlarged the holes for the bolts, a little stretch and they went right into place. that part wasn't really a big deal.

since there's some play on the cats portion (having spring bolts for the rear flange), the front flange should sit flush enough with the headers especially with a gasket in there. i might have had the advantage since i don't have that tranny-to-exhaust bracket *which could have given me a little bit more play.

if you do re-torque the nuts when things are hot, be careful not to twist the bolts in half.

·
Registered
733 Posts
tallazz made me think of something. Why don't you loosen the whole exhaust system that way you can move it and align the UEL with the cat pipe. once that is done work your way back through the system tightening them starting with at the block and ending at the axle back? This might make the system fit a bit better. just a thought...

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I appreciate the advice guys, but the header itself was a piece of garbage, and i feel awful for having purchased it. I had to stretch with all my might to get either the DS or PS flange to line up, as in... the item was warped. Once i had it in place, the header was so strained that loosening the bolts would have done nothing... it was contorted and pushed equally in both directions, therefore give me no play whatsoever. I doubt i can get a refund for them being that i modified the bolt holes with a grinder to get them to be able to (barely) line up. Ive sent a formal compaint to this ebay sellers account, letting others know that this product is junk.

On another note... I laminexed my Fogs yellow yesterday morning, and got around to installing my new front swaybar links this morning.

Cell phone pic, sorry lol.

And the links before i installed them.

They make a slight difference, but i cant wait to install the rear solid links with my 22mm adjustable sway (sway arrives sometime this week)

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
I laminexed my Fogs yellow yesterday morning, and got around to installing my new front swaybar links this morning.

Cell phone pic, sorry lol.
does the laminex stuff you used seem like it would hold up against debris & stones from the road and vehicles in front of you?

i used this vinyl stuff. i think the rock blockers might be better.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
does the laminex stuff you used seem like it would hold up against debris & stones from the road and vehicles in front of you?

i used this vinyl stuff. i think the rock blockers might be better.
It seems to be ok so far. Ive used Laminex before in the past and have never had any issues

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Look what santa...er... the UPS man brought today to comppliment my solid rear sway bar links (not yet pictured) ..........

unwrapped....

41 - 60 of 3944 Posts