Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

3921 - 3940 of 3944 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,922
Just a little technical data for those wondering what the Alky 80/20 method looks like up top.

30 degrees at redline with 25-27 psi targets (gear dependent)

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,924
yeah, i have not taken it that far yet. Im fine with where its at though, makes plennttyyyy of power for my liking.

Next up, soon, hopefully, either the IDs or subframe spacer removal. Still waiting on getting the steering knuckle extended. Busy busy busy as always with other vehicles and tunes.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,929
First impressions so far:

Took some time to drive them this morning on some empty roads. While i wasnt pushing to break traction at all, im blown away with how well they handle themselves compared to how the 1-way FEAL revalved struts + stiff springs. They were harsh at best (500# front, 450# rear). Having the koni dampening adjustability is relatively new to me, but on their softest setting, the car rides pretty much like my old Bilsteins did in my DD legacy (went back to OEM)... stiff but still retained comfort. It definitely gives more squish over potholes than before, and im not getting tossed about in my seat. I have yet to turn the dials up for any track event, but with added camber front AND rear now, the thing has a LOT more grip around corners, and turn-in response is better too. Like i said, i didnt push any boundaries per say, esp since its cold out, wet out with leaves (thanks Nor'easter) and im on my Conti DWS extreme contact all-seasons. Sad fact of today... i never put my gold summer rims on this year... shows how busy ive been with house projects, tuning and work.

Did manage to take a few timed exposures using my harness bar DSLR mount.

Also im selling my AMS front mount kit. While the idea of one is awesome, I am not doing the kit justice having it sit around, and id rather focus the money into things like turbo or fuel system components, on top of the reverse-feed ID1000 kit that Mike Simms built me. So its up for sale on Nasioc if anyone knows someone who wants it. A few people ask ' BUT WHY?" ... because im happy with the car in its current state and relative power level, and im honestly not up for the work, money and frustration that will come with custom mounting it. At a certain point, this car has become an insane journey of customization, input, hardwork and dedication, even in its current state, so im happy with it, i dont need to continue large modifications of it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Such a nice looking Forester man, modified yet clean looking! Are you on Flickr? I can tell you have an eye for photography as well, really like the composition and color saturation of your photoshoots.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,933
Such a nice looking Forester man, modified yet clean looking! Are you on Flickr? I can tell you have an eye for photography as well, really like the composition and color saturation of your photoshoots.
Thanks man, I appreciate that!

I do dabble. I have a few family members both immediate and extended that do film/photography as a profession, so ive taken some pointers throughout my life from them. I touch them up a little in RAW format to help balance the light exposure of both inside and outside, which is somewhat difficult to do in certain lighting with those interior shots.

My album address is www.FLickR.com/Sk8nRocker23

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,934 (Edited)
Hey!

Did a Think today!

I was tired of having my wastegate creep open during low boost, before you give it the business and all. So i removed my Tial 38mm, took it apart and upgraded from 1-bar (14,7psi spring pressure) to a 2-bar (~24psi spring pressure) setup. The results were a definite improvement in spoolup response, less WGDC used to achieve target, less WG chatter and above all, a "quieter" ride until i give it the full beans rather than have it creep open at part throttle and a few psi.

Fun fact. Getting a 24lb spring assembly compressed was a challenge like none ive faced yet :grin2:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Starting 2019 with a whistle 😉
That spring gave you your exercise quota for the day, lol 💪

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Hey!

Did a Think today!

I was tired of having my wastegate creep open during low boost, before you give it the business and all. So i removed my Tial 38mm, took it apart and upgraded from 1-bar (14,7psi spring pressure) to a 2-bar (~24psi spring pressure) setup. The results were a definite improvement in spoolup response, less WGDC used to achieve target, less WG chatter and above all, a "quieter" ride until i give it the full beans rather than have it creep open at part throttle and a few psi.

Fun fact. Getting a 24lb spring assembly compressed was a challenge like none ive faced yet :grin2:

Love it! What's your target boost?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,937
Starting 2019 with a whistle 😉
That spring gave you your exercise quota for the day, lol 💪

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Oh man, you dont want to know the half of it. Spent maybe an hour and a half trying to strong arm it, even using my foot to hold it down and get clamps on it to hold it to put the wee-little hex bolts back in, and by about the 10th time it exploded back open in my face, I decided to go to the hardware store and get the biggest, baddest clamp i could find and then work it shut slowly.

Then the second half of that fun is getting the V-band to line up and clamped again.

Suffice to say, this was an all afternoon job, with a dinner break, and then finished it up after dinner.

Lots of knicks and cuts all over my arms and hands. :frown2:

But the satisfaction while self tuning it right after was worth it. Still pulls like stink and Virtual Dyno run results still have it at 433 wheel HP at 26-ish Psi for the time being.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,938
Love it! What's your target boost?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

26.55-ish , give or take a few. Still VD's at 433 whp, so its holding, but i cant run the 28-30psi targets like i used to, or else the clutch starts to slip and stink (the one that makes just shy of 450!) , so it de-tuned until i get a Southbend stage 3 into this thing.

That and ID1000s and an Aeromotive FPR i like to just stare at in the box. Seems more fun that way.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,939
Im a traitor!

We did a thing. Wife needed a new car, so...

2017 Outback Limited 2.5i.

No plans for it, and no, its not replacing the forester. Just a replacement for the wifes old legacy. As you can see, mine is still there kicking at 205k miles. We just needed a new workhorse of a car that has space. Being a homeowner and relatively (keyword "relatively") handy with home repair and projects , im not particularly a fan of always loading up my SF5 with items, or the limited space of my smaller Legacy. While the Forester is still a wagon, its rather devoid of its original utility purpose, and since i frequent the Home Depot, we needed something that could keep up.

3921 - 3940 of 3944 Posts