Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

3901 - 3920 of 3944 Posts

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,901
Been busy, little update i suppose.

-Busy with house and life. Also very busy tuning other cars these days. Dont worry, i drive the foz to work once every week or so.

-Found out my blizzaks were 12 years old (YIKES, i know! shame on me for not tossing them sooner) so i tossed them and have my silver winter rims setup with brand new Continental DWS06 all season sporty tires for the off-season now. My daily driver legacy has some Blizzaks on for the winter months.

-Mikey Simms is assembling an ID1000 topfeed conversion for me in his famous reverse fed order that makes even the most built of motors operate smoothly.

-Gearing up to do the Spacer delete and have found out that my steering linkage will be too short by 2 inchs.... going to need it extended. Big shoutout to Austin for pointing that out to me, seeing as he just did a spacer delete on his SF forester with an STI rack on it. Turns out the SF steering column is a pinch shorter than the GC one, therefore my GC to GD conversion linkage is a few hairs too short to bridge the gap.

-Have a few goodies suspension wise like new camber plates front (and possibly rear?) to install as well. I also have some spare 05 STI struts that i may hollow out and fill with Koni inserts.

-Power wise... cars been fun, but it may get fun-er (LOL) with the possible addition of a large turbo if i play my cards just right. Still top mount for now, BUT, i am trying to see what FMIC i can cram in there and make work.

Lots of plans, just so little time it seems, works been kicking my butt with OT so my spare time that would be spent on this otherwise is focused there. I will say, ive grown accustomed to a garage now and how shiny the SF stays these days since it never sees rain or water outside of occasional washes.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,902
ID1000 topfeed conversion with IAG rails and reverse-series pre-fabbed lines by MotorBykeMike acquired!

Despite the garage, weather has been less than ideal for such an install. It usually doesnt stay this cold for this long, but the temp has been low teens / single digits (* F) at night with barely 20 broken during the day. Garage is still attached to the house, but it stays a steady 35-40 in there, so ill have to either get a space heater, or wait until it gets a little warmer. What ive been doing all week is running the car outside until fully warm, then bringing it in, and it brings it up to 55-60 in there, which is great. Been catching up on maint/ items with both my other Legacies (both 08) with brakes, wheel bearings, front end bushings, fluid changes, ect.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Post caught my attention. I'm in process of putting a heater in garage, finished lil bit ago and warming up now. Went with a cheap CZ220. And I'm doing it to start my steering setup. I'm noticing the gd shaft splines are also different than gd splines on steering shaft. Something else to keep eye on.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,904
Still have yet to get my steering linkage extended, HOWEVER, i did have a good dry run of moving the motor around. I had to do my spark plugs (well, chose to, had some free time) and boy what a job that is on a swapped SF with spacers still in. Had to remove engine mounting bolts, TMIC, pitch stop and a few other items and then jack the motor up to get the coilpacks to be accessible. To top it all off, i had the threads for the engine mounts not line up to the holes in the subframe when dropping it back down. Ended up loosening a few other things and was able to strong arm the entire motor to drop back into the proper mounting points again, but it did give me a small bit of anxiety for a few minutes wondering if i had shifted the entire drivetrain forward by like 1/4 of an inch.

Also, new brakes (some aggressive slotted rotors, dont know brand) from MotorBykeMike with some stoptech pads up front and the brakes are feeling quite responsive compared to OEM rotors and pads which were at least 3-4 years old. Still have some life left to them too.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,911
Might as well do 1300's once you ditch meth, 1000's only good to like 425 wheel on e85
No chance ill ditch the meth. Im hooked!
Right now those crazy alaskan boys are using a 4-nozzle setup pushing for very high numbers. (original designers of the Alky approach)

Way to go Mike!!
Thanks man!

There is definitely going to be some serious time spent for custom fitment of this kit. Needs a few parts too and some BOV modifications to have it either recirced (swap out to a different tial) or somehow direct it downward.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Only real fitment issue I had putting a GD kit in my SF was the lower rad hose since I was using SF rad, if you have updated rad then you should be good.

But then again your core looks bigger, mine was 9.5x25x4

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,913
This is 24" wide, 12.5 " tall and 3.5" thick core. With the help of motorbykeMike we will get it to fit. Ive snagged tons of pics to reference from foreign setups that have SFs using FMIC arrangements. Im prepared for the fact that i am going to have to do some cutting and trimming here and there, and i am certain i am going to have to butcher the inside of that OEM bumper to get it to fit properly. In the end i am hoping i can keep the foglights in use here and still have a practical pathway for flow without having to make any out-of-the-box twists and turns.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,916
Doesn't seem too crazily compact in there with it all apart... But was reinstallation a hassle ?

Also ordered up a tial QR conversion for the Tial Q that's currently on there... Based on where my new nozzle is going, it will be beat to either recirc or vent away fumes.

New pump, nozzle, line extension and larger 4 gallon cell are all on the way too.

May as well do it all, right ?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,917
Things are heating up?

Dont celebrate just yet. This was just a test fit just to see how difficult this will be, and its proving that it will indeed be a challenge, but then again, when has this car never been a challenge?

Spent a good deal of time on the Phone with MotorBykeMike going through some measuring and fitment discussions. The obvious issues here is the this is a GD specific fitment, therefore the bumper beam and core brackets do not mount up at all aside from the top center one. That right there will have to be custom. Next challenge is getting the bumper to fit over it, theres going to be a great deal of cutting inside there and eventual modification of it with sheeting to direct airflow inward. With this behemoth resting up against the beam shown in the picture, it already sits as low as my tow-hooks and headers. Another way of approaching it may involve tilting it, but its very apparent that the final fitment of this core will not be done with hand-tools simply in the garage, its going to need a fabricators touch. It was still fun to fit it in place though.

Its one step forward so far.

3901 - 3920 of 3944 Posts
About this Discussion
3.9K Replies
216 Participants
MikeDrives1
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing