Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I won a shifter surround on Ebay and the color is slightly different from the color of the oem dash console. My thought are to cut the oem console and add the sti trim ring and boot to it.

Thought?

My basic idea is to trace the inside opening and them use calipers to measure the track width of the sti trim ring, add said distance to my trace and then cut it out.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT
117 Posts
You might want to consider retaining your stock console intact so that you can revert to stock should you decide to sell your Forester or change your mind about the desirability of this modification.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I'd say go for it. If you can't stand it, you can always order a new bezel from one of the many OEM parts websites out there. I believe they were like $40 or something like that.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Or paint the STi one to match yrou dash color.

joe r

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
black it out! The STi trim ring gives a great contrast to the black console and black boot. It is a sweet combo!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,085 Posts

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I wouldn't cut your original one as a new one will be the same color as that STI one. The oem console plastics seem to fade pretty easily. I put an 07 forester headunit into my 04 and the color difference was the same as in the OP's image.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
I don't even notice the color difference in my car.. day or night but yeah damn that seller for not showing the scratches!!

Well I'm going to vinyl mine soon anyway.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
If you want to tryout a blacked out bezel, just clean th eparts and use plasti-dip. If you don't like it you can peal it right off with no damage to the surface below!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
372 Posts
If you want to tryout a blacked out bezel, just clean th eparts and use plasti-dip. If you don't like it you can peal it right off with no damage to the surface below!
You can just peel plasti-dip off??? :huh:

I might try this, do you guys use the spray, dip, or brush-on?

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
The spray. I tried to spray a stock hazard switch red using plasti-dip, but it turned out horrible so i pealed it right off.

If you spray it too thin you can easily scratch/snag it and once you get one little section loose it all wants to peel off. To get it to hold better you need to scuff up the pieces and use a TON of coats. I did the grill on my X with a full can 2 years ago and it has zero bad spots. A grill I did using about 5 coats started to peel after a few rock hits about a month later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts