Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 FXT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got back from the dealer and found out the annoying rattle from under my FXT is the resonator coming apart, not sure if it's the baffles or the entire structure. Once I get a chance I'll be able to find out exactly what's going on. It looks like I'll probably be replacing the resonator/entire midpipe and am looking for a compatible part. Ideally this would come from another FXT but I know there's compatibility with WRX's as well. I have a buddy with an 07 WRX stock exhaust who'd be willing to sell me his midpipe for cheap.

What I'm wondering is what Forester and WRX exhaust components are compatible with my '05 FXT. Also, I live in the chicagoland area so if someone has these stock parts laying around, please let me know and I'd be willing to work out a deal.

Only slightly annoyed,
Eric

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
The '04-'07 WRX or STi one will bolt up. The '02-'03 WRX ones will probably bolt up as well, but I've never tried. Basically, the FXT one has a larger resonator and the pipe is bent sharper right before the resonator, otherwise they are the same fitment.

Stan

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Just a note the newer forester XT (06+) models have a larger resonator due to removing the uppipe cat or something. I have a newer one on mine and due to some dents it actually hits my driveshaft sometimes (lots of worn bushings etc, so on a better condition forester it probably wouldn't be an issue).

The Sti uses a similar but slightly smaller resonator to the 04/05 XT and they're pretty easy to find used. You could even goto a muffler shop and have them cut out the resonator and weld in some new pipe. Are they sure its the resonator? I thought mine was breaking apart, but it turned out the heatshielding over the muffler was rattling against the muffler canister. Now i have an even more annoying rattle from the header and uppipe heatshield rattling!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.