1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5 XT Manual
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Metallic high pitched noise only under moderate/hard acceleration

Hello, guys!

I've been browsing for the last four hours through topics returned by the search on the forum, but looks like my Forester is special, I didn't find anything similar to my problem so here it goes:

2007 Forester SG XT EUDM, 5MT, currently shy over 80k miles (130k km)

For the last 5k miles (since august 2017 - yes, it's not driven enough, I know), I started hearing a metallic whining noise that I cannot identify.
It's only present under moderate/hard acceleration, doesn't matter which gear (but usually not in 1st). As soon as I release the gas pedal or at least I go easier on the gas, the sound disappears. Sound is not present if I go even to 5-6k rpm on neutral, also is not present if car is rolling, with no gear engaged, only when under moderate/hard acceleration. Even if I drive at 120mph for 20miles, let's say, there no issue, so I don't think the turbo could be the problem. Am I wrong?

Clutch is almost new, less than 7k since replacement (march 2017). At the same time all wheel bearing where replaced, also front diff bearings.
Rear muffler replaced last fall (some said it could be shattered inside, causing the noise)

Thursday I'm going to a dealer shop for a diagnose, but I'm not overconfident so I would like to get some opinions before that, at least not to be played by them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Bellow are links with the sound heard in 2nd and 3rd gear

PS: This is "my goldie", hoping to see/ here fom her better soon :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the noise is coming from a damaged gasket on the turbo, there's even some light smoking traces over there, but also on the heat shield, said the mechanic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts