Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this extremely informative thread regarding mesh types on i-club today: http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62774

Take note of this particular post:

Don't waste your time with that expanded-metal-gutter/ghetto-***** from home depot...
(let alone spray painting it)

McMaster Carr... (mcmaster.com)
you can get 316 stainless mesh in any number of weaves (fine to course)
and in small sizes too...1' by 3' should be a good size for your front. Do a search for "wire cloth" and you'll see the options. They take CC's, no min order, and can ship next day air if you need it fast.

If you get some course mesh (like 3x3), it can actually hold a shape pretty well into the front cowling. If you want to paint it, send it over to Richmond Pro Finishing and they can powder coat any color for cheap. No effin Rustoleum.

I have pretty strong opinions about this and if you are gonna get some mesh to put on the front of your car, don't waste your time & money buying galvanized gutter mesh, garden screen or any of the other junk like that and painting it.

Otherwise, you could go for the perforated metal route (like I did) and that worked well for my front end (powder coated flat-black). Mcmaster also has some options with perforated metal too.
Here's McMaster-Carr's selection of wire mesh types, enjoy! :D

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
sticky! I'm gonna have to sneak some mesh in on our next Mcmaster Carr order at work :D I was looking for something a little less "transparent" than the mesh I used (APC insert from pep boys) looks like the smaller diamond mesh will work!

thanks again.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah at my shop I have been looking through the big yellow McMaster Carr catalog for mesh options, but their online catalogue actually has better descriptions and images of different types of mesh.
Some of them are acutally pretty expensive because they can only be bought in large sizes, would be cool to go in on a group buy, someone would have to cut it up and distribute pieces, but it would be worth it! The stainless mesh would be sweet...plus you can specify the dimensions of the diamond shapes.

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
Nachas said:
Some of them are acutally pretty expensive because they can only be bought in large sizes, would be cool to go in on a group buy, someone would have to cut it up and distribute pieces, but it would be worth it!
^^^^^ What he said.

·
Registered
618 Posts
McMaster Carr sells less expensive mesh, but that is the "expanded aluminum" which is the same thing you can get at the hardware store.
So if we were going to buy better stuff we would have to agree on a pattern and its dimensions.
Is anyone interested in this? It would only take like 5 people to make it worth while, cost wise that is.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,932 Posts
Yeah, I'm interested big time.

I saw a nice injection hexagonal mesh molded plastic grill on a Ford police Interceptor that looked like it might fit and I even found one on the web for 20- BUT, upon measuring the grill of our local police cars, found it was to small to fill the Subie mouth......

I really like the modded grill BUT I wanted to have a grill mesh that was a bit more dense so the radiator support would be less obvious.....

Painting the supports, etc. still won't work because the meshes that some members have used are just to fine to do the job adequately....the die stamped meshes on the link look far more appropriate especially if they can accept paint....

Put me down for a group order......

Steve

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,932 Posts
Hey, you guys...

Is someone gonna take the bull by the short hairs and get a group order together for the mesh? I'd like to get mesh that already has been powder coated but am desperate to get my grill done and installed....

Let me know what the plan is....

Steve

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,932 Posts
I'd start this by doing the buy and cut part myself BUT haven't any tools that can make the cuts nice and clean.....last thing we want is to damage the black coating in the process of trimming the mesh blanks down to individually cut pieces....

Anyone out there want to get the ball rolling???

I can do a template for the mesh based on my trimmed out grill.......

Steve

·
Registered
618 Posts
I could do the cutting, I have access to a metal band saw/plasma cutter/ etc...however probably will just use the metal band saw.
Alright, so if this is gonna happen we need to pick out what we want and can agree on right?
Here is a diamond perforated pattern, different then the "mesh" because this is a sheet of metal with the shape stamped out, much stronger...this comes in either aluminum and steel.

Here is a hexagonal perf. sheet.

So either of these will take paint well, probably should use a clear coat on them too in order to protect the paint. Another idea is to use a patina, which will esentially stain the metal, then you could use a clear coat on top of that, this method would ensure a consistent finish.
Anyways let me know what you all think, there are a couple other options on the www.mcmaster.com that would be good.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,932 Posts
Hi Nachas!

I like the stamped mesh style that you posted........I can do a very defined cutting template based on my grill frame and then forward to you for the cutting op. Do you think the mesh is shipped in a roll and, if so, how do we get it to flatten out?

Thanks for stepping up to the plate!

Now: Can we get someone to agree to do the mass "buy" and can we get a firm commitment from all of you who are interested so no one has to do this out of their own pocket?? Someone needs to handle getting all of the info together from the supplier (price w/ shipping, etc.), based on our total number of buyers so we can see how much each of us needs to kick in.

I'd like to do the cutting template to eliminate any secondary cutting that might need to be done. I visualize that, at the end of the process, we get the mesh blanks, all precut and powder coated (or painted, as a poor second) and simply bolt them in place....no fiddling or ad-libbing should be required so the mesh winds up being a drop in and secure operation.

Anyone have any thoughts? Drop me an email ([email protected]) and let's get this moving.

It'd be great to be able to install mesh inserts just as the weather warms up out in the east....

Thanks for your involvement......

Steve

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,932 Posts
Just looked at the McMaster site....I would personally want to stay with the thickest material, probably steel, that we can get....this appears to be .036" which is still very thin.......I would guess that aluminum is too soft to withstand a stone impact without some deformation...

I like the diamond or the hex style myself.

Steve

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hex would be my favorite too... but if aluminum is not strong enough, I'd be happy with the diamond shape too.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,932 Posts
Good! Let's try to agree on something and get going.

It appears that the diamond shape offers the thickest material (altho not by very much.....006 inches) of the two designs although I guess I'd prefer the hex shape. Does someone out there want to check me by looking at the McMaster site and confirming what I have written??? The sheets of metal are shipped flat so curvature is NOT an issue. Once I get a template worked out, I should see how many grills fit on each sheet.....

I'd probably cut a dummy out of chipboard and test fit it in my grill frame to be sure that there's enough material for attachment tabs, etc......

Use my email and let's get the list of buyers together....then figure out our next steps. I'll start working on a template this weekend........

Steve

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Sounds good. Count me in- either diamond or hex will work...

1 - 20 of 78 Posts