Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Limited CVT
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first off I know the media hub is only offered on a few 2010 models and the Forester isn’t one of them.

iPod & Media Interface | Subaru Electronics

But in my experience it should work with my 09’ NAV equipped Forester and as far as I can tell the part number I need is H621SFG700.
Which when Googled for comes up for NAV equipped Impreza. But here’s the confusing part, look at these installation instructions.

404 - Page Not Found

First off item G says it’s for the other media hub part numbers (which if searched for say they aren’t for a NAVI unit).

Now go to page 9 step 16B, it says install USB cable for NAVI units.

So what is it, dose the 700 part number use the USB or not? Because that’s pretty much the only reason I’d get this unit.:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey mate, did you ever get an answer regarding this one? I am actually in Aus but have a MY10 Forester and am looking for a way to easily integrate an ipod or USB device that can be controlled from the touch screen or steering wheel controls.

The 2 Din Headunit in my car looks near identical to the ones in the photos in the link you posted . I think my headunit is a Kenwood model.

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can this media hub option be installed into a 2010 Forester? I see the ipod interface can, but it looks like this does that plus accepts usb media drives.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited Auto w/nav
898 Posts
I just purchased my 2011 Forester last weekend. Yesterday I wrote to the dealer and asked how much would it cost to have the Ipod interface installed and could the Media Hub be installed in the 2011 Forester.

He wrote back to me saying

1.) The Media hub can be installed in your vehicle. There are two different types: Media hub ($309.95), and Media hub with bluetooth streaming ($349.95). To get this accessory installed it would be 3 hrs of labor ($306). Total would between the $600-$650 range.

2.) The Ipod interface kit is no longer available due to the connectivity of the Media hub and its capabilities. /quote]

Which brings up two questions

1. Is this guy bull-steining me about the Ipod Interface kit? He may be right that the dealers are not installing it any more but the parts stores are still selling it.

2. 3 hours to install the media hub sounds a bit much. Has anyone installed the media hub by themselves and if so, are there any installation directions?

·
Registered
2011 Foz 2.5X Limited
30 Posts
Subanoobie: What model 2011 do you have? On my 2011 Limited the USB works fine with iPod/iPhone (just using a standard cable), or USB stick, or radio with Bluetooth music from my iPhone.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hmm I also have a 2011 Limited with the Nav, but I ain't got no USB. In the center console I have the three RCA connections I am currently using.

Where is the USB on yours? Do you have the Nav?

Did you have the IPOD interface kit installed or did you get the Media Hub?

·
Registered
2011 Foz 2.5X Limited
30 Posts
No Nav on my '11 Limited - the USB is in the center console with one RCA jack. No iPod interface needed, no Media Hub - just the usual iPod/iPhone cable works fine in the USB.

From the manual looks like the Nav is a different type of unit - it says to see the Nav Supplement.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Premium
19 Posts
'11 premium. USB in center console for me.

For those that do *not* have the USB in the center console, I wonder if the nav/radio unit itself has a USB connecter on the back. Looking at what's out there, seems the USB is a pretty popular item. Maybe the Ipod interface just has a holder that connects up to the radio USB connector.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat. My new 2011 Forester Limited with Nav has no USB. Has anyone looked to see if there is a USB port on the back of the Nav unit?

·
Registered
898 Posts
If there is a USB in the back of the radio/nav, could I run a USB extension to the center console using the same instructions as installing the IPOD interface?

And for those who do have the USB connection already in their car, does this enable controlling the IPOD through the radio and steering wheel?

Nooblet question: If I want to control it from the radio and the steering wheel, do I have to use an IPOD or will some of the cheaper MP3 players.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
No Nav on my '11 Limited - the USB is in the center console with one RCA jack.
You have the premium OEM HU (with built-in Bluetooth and USB). On cars with this HU, the steering wheel has the new phone buttons (Off-hook, On-hook, and Talk).

BTW, the other jack in your center console is a 3.5mm stereo jack, not RCA.

For those that do *not* have the USB in the center console, I wonder if the nav/radio unit itself has a USB connecter on the back.
Sorry, no. The Subaru-branded OEM Navi HU does not have built-in USB. See picture and more info here (2nd half of post #11 in my 'Stock HU info' thread).

You must add Subaru's Media Hub accessory to add USB (or Subaru's iPod accessory to add an iPod plug). Without those, you can still use the aux input for an audio-only or A/V connection to your MP3 player (but you won't have remote control via HU or steering wheel).

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Ltd auto
86 Posts
radio/bluetooth/blackberry

Subanoobie: What model 2011 do you have? On my 2011 Limited the USB works fine with iPod/iPhone (just using a standard cable), or USB stick, or radio with Bluetooth music from my iPhone.
The other day music was coming out of my blackberry. I've never played music from my phone and was wondering how it got turned on by my 2011 limited bluetooth/radio? Do you know? (I had trouble figuring out how to turn it off my phone. It was odd.)

thanks.

·
Registered
2011 xt premium auto
2 Posts
Hey
I've just seen this thread as I have just bought a 2011 xt premium, no usb in the center consul but red/white/yellow rca female input plugs.
I use an adapter out of iphone 7 but soon this will be obsolete as well. Is there a media hub? Do I need to buy a whole new interface.
TIA
seveaye

·
Registered
2011 Foz 2.5X Limited
30 Posts
Hey
I've just seen this thread as I have just bought a 2011 xt premium, no usb in the center consul but red/white/yellow rca female input plugs.
I use an adapter out of iphone 7 but soon this will be obsolete as well. Is there a media hub? Do I need to buy a whole new interface.
TIA
seveaye
You could get a Bluetooth to USB dongle like this one below...(needs 12V to run) but doesn't the radio do Bluetooth also?

https://www.amazon.com/CPS-1135-47102-Milennia-Bluetooth-Dongle/dp/B00BYGEVA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483422537&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+rca+dongle

~alan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts