1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Internet works out here you know!

Typical dawes device, yes it will work fine, would be a little obvious to an insurance assessor of course, with that you can raise the boost within the overboost fuel cut, you can go above the cut limit if you use a FCD but risk increases rapidly!

Simon

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Simon. Now I know what a Dawes device is too :icon_biggrin: I guess a turbo pressure gauge would be wise if I fitted this? Apart from the engine cutting out, what are the ramifications of hitting overboost (>0.8bar) while the Dawes device is being setup? Hope the weather in India is good enough to make up for you missing out on the unmentionable white stuff. Tony.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Back in blighty now, still on jetlag time!
Temperature in India was 18C MINIMUM, max 31!
Best to set with a boost gauge, the boost cut is nasty to hit, but otherwise not a major issue, you could do it without the guage, but it would mean making a small tweak, doing a few runs and if no cut tweaking it a bit more and so on.

Aim for just under 0.8bar.

Simon

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Correct-ish its not a direct hard cut though, it will allow a small amount of overboost, so as long as its not 'silly' it should be OK.

Simon

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ghetto mod

Simon. Just had a thought, should I reverse the ghetto mod and go back to the standard piping if I am going to fit an MBC? Coming back to Blighty from 31 degrees must have been a shock.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
You need to plumb the dawes in the direct line to the actuator, so ghetto mod and stock BCS become redundant.

Simon

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MBC and TD04L fitted, whoa Nelly. The instructions for fitting the MBC were very unclear and took me all day to work out which part of the manifold I was supposed to be taking the feed from (perhaps I am just thick), suffice to say I have experienced the fuel cutoff thingy under hard acceleration, a bit scary. I have a boost gauge fitted and finally have 0.8 bar and can see my fuel consumption going South rapidly while I enjoy the rush. If anyone else has problems fitting an MBC, PM me and I will send you pics. Now all I have to do is get the wonga together to have Bob Rawle work his magic. TD04L running at 0.8bar, anyone have any ideas or opinions on what I can expect from having my ECU re-flashed?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
240-260bhp should be achievable depending on other mods.

Simon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts