Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
22,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to the build journal for "Maverick", our attempt an building an off road Subaru Forester. The Forester we chose for this build is a 2007 XT Sports 4EAT in Urban Gray Metallic, or what the Gray Goose was when we bought it new in 2007. Maverick will go in the opposite direction of the Gray Goose, with plans for a lift, springs, under belly armor, aggressive tires and a bump in HP.

Maverick was found traded in at our local dealer with near 60K miles on it, and in pretty good condition. Its pretty clean inside, but the outside needs some love and attention but nothing that is too serious. After an extended test drive overnight the answer was clear to make a deal to bring home Baby Goose.

Currently, we have installed a few mods onto Maverick;

Hella Horns
SPT battery tie down and oil cap
Subtle-Solutions engine name plate
Moore Performance Carbon plate delete
4 ball shifter knob from BAC5.2
Homelink mirror
STI Aluminum control arms
Whiteline 22mm front sway bar
STI OEM rear swap bar
Kartboy front and rear end links
2005 WRX front seats
OEM Alt cover
Subtle Solutions Rad cover

Future mods

Lift Spacers - Thanks Moore Performance Parts for locating me a set of these on the shelf from years ago~
King springs - Suggestion on these vs Ironman?
VF48 turbo - Will be sourced from The Gray Goose when we upgrade it.
TMIC - Will go with a 04-07 STI TMIC
Turbo back - Still open on this, it depends on if we go rotated on The Gray Goose.
Cobb AP - Most likely will buy a Gen 3 for The Gray Goose and pass down its old Gen 2 to this build.
Rally Armor flaps
Fuel Pump - Walbro 255.
Dyno Tune - With careful planning and data logs, I might run the original tune from The Gray Goose since this is the same exact car which will have the same exact mods.
Skid plate - Still looking for this.
Diff protector - Still looking for this/
Aggressive tires - Size 215/70/16 or 225/70/16 by General
Off Road lights - Another Moore Performance exclusive item to come.
Roof Basket - Prolly do a Thule and call it done.

Here is the photo when we brought it home.

STA70990 by Pam_Cakes_KY, on Flickr

·
Registered
22,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
22,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats. could not wait to see the result.

3 Forester turbo in one household. That is awesome.
The Blur will be making its way to the dealership tomorrow as it was traded in. I could not pass on the chance to have 2 identical color / model Foresters and take them in opposite directions!

F

·
0 Posts
Excellent. In on the first page... :biggrin:

Also, I want to see some mad custom parts with this build too. Like full-coverage underbody protection, an SG9 light bar, individual locking handbrakes, and of course, a snorkel. :cool:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Great!Can't wait to read all about it!After reading all the Gray Goose story this is gonna be awesome!
If u guys wanna go all out get a MT with low range!
SUBSCRIBED!!!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Very nice to see this - as an owner of an '08 X Sports (now the wife's... she stole it from me) and the new owner of an '08 XT LTD that was fitted with King springs when I bought it, I definitely approve and look forward to seeing what you come up with as it evolves!

BTW, I would recommend the King springs to anyone thinking about it as they gave mine a little over an inch of lift (compared to the wife's) but also tightened up the suspension enough to be very noticeable when cornering, but not so stiff as to compromise the ride.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!!! :D

Now, scratch off the King springs, replace with Ironman springs, and pocket $200. :icon_biggrin::discomonkey:

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
WOW!!!! Must be nice to have 2 sport xt's I am very happy for you now if I can only get my wife into a forester so we can be a 2 forester house hold as well.

·
Registered
22,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WOW!!!! Must be nice to have 2 sport xt's I am very happy for you now if I can only get my wife into a forester so we can be a 2 forester house hold as well.
Thanks Nate! Having been a 2 Forester household since 2010 it's a great thing.

Thanks everyone for the replies and looks. I am pretty confident that this build will be worthy of following with the plans we have in place.

So far we have put about 100 miles on the Baby and I really enjoy this Foz a lot. I forgot how much I enjoyed the VDC auto trans and gearing.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts