Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know when I had my SG, I did the STi master cylinder swap and it was good. Does the same swap apply to the SH? Can I use a 08-14 STi MC on my SH?

Thanks

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
I know when I had my SG, I did the STi master cylinder swap and it was good. Does the same swap apply to the SH? Can I use a 08-14 STi MC on my SH?

Thanks
Forgive an old man's ignorance, but what does this kind of swap accomplish?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to opposedforces, the Master Cylinder Assembly (P/N: 26401AG030) is the same for all Subaru models (except Tribeca). This includes all Forester, Impreza, and Legacy models.

Well, that's settled.

·
Registered
2010 Forester A
9 Posts
i'm in the middle of doing this swap now. It's in the car, but i'm having problems bleeding the system. regardless,

SH foresters need a + '08 sti BMC and booster.

I purchased an '05 Sti unit and it does not bolt on properly.
Brake line threads are difference, and the lip on the back of the booster does not allow it to sit againts the firewall properly.

The one i got on the car now is an '10 model.
If you check the part numbers you'll notice '08-'11 all have the same part number.

Good luck

·
Registered
2010 XT Limited 4EAT
1,447 Posts
According to opposedforces, the Master Cylinder Assembly (P/N: 26401AG030) is the same for all Subaru models (except Tribeca). This includes all Forester, Impreza, and Legacy models.

Well, that's settled.
i'm in the middle of doing this swap now. It's in the car, but i'm having problems bleeding the system. regardless,

SH foresters need a + '08 sti BMC and booster.

I purchased an '05 Sti unit and it does not bolt on properly.
Brake line threads are difference, and the lip on the back of the booster does not allow it to sit againts the firewall properly.

The one i got on the car now is an '10 model.
If you check the part numbers you'll notice '08-'11 all have the same part number.

Good luck
I'd be interested to hear what comes out of your swap.

Also, if the part numbers are all the same - doesn't it mean it's the same part? Won't this not give you any benefit, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
2010 Forester A
9 Posts
I'd be interested to hear what comes out of your swap.

Also, if the part numbers are all the same - doesn't it mean it's the same part? Won't this not give you any benefit, or am I missing something?
Sorry, for the confusion. I meant the part numbers for the STI bmc's from 08-11 are the same.

Apparently, from what I've read it's supposed to make the pedal a lot firmer.
The stock brakes are terrible.
I will keep you posted and hopefully do a write up on how to install this thing.

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester XT AT
351 Posts

Well, that's settled.
thats interesting. When I was upgrading brake booster I bought one form 08+ sti. Unfortunately mounting bolts for master cylinder are diagonal instead of begin horizontal like with earlier models (02-07 sti) This would make master cylinder tilted about 45* to the left.. I don't even think that I would be able to connect brake lines..

02-07 sti (SJ letters on top)

08+ sti (ZG letters on top)

·
Registered
2010 XT Limited 4EAT
1,447 Posts
Sorry, for the confusion. I meant the part numbers for the STI bmc's from 08-11 are the same.

Apparently, from what I've read it's supposed to make the pedal a lot firmer.
The stock brakes are terrible.
I will keep you posted and hopefully do a write up on how to install this thing.
Bumping this >:)

·
Registered
2010 Forester A
9 Posts
Matty,

During the install i let a ton of air into the system, resulting in an even sloppier pedal feel.
Bled the system at least 4 times but the pedal still felt soft. I figured i wasn't doing something right. Took it to a subaru mechanic, checked everything once over, bled it... and said it felt good to him.

It feels a bit better now with the sti bmc + booster but nothing worth bragging about.
I got some SS lines on the way. Throwing them on Sunday.

·
Registered
2010 XT Limited 4EAT
1,447 Posts
Matty,

During the install i let a ton of air into the system, resulting in an even sloppier pedal feel.
Bled the system at least 4 times but the pedal still felt soft. I figured i wasn't doing something right. Took it to a subaru mechanic, checked everything once over, bled it... and said it felt good to him.

It feels a bit better now with the sti bmc + booster but nothing worth bragging about.
I got some SS lines on the way. Throwing them on Sunday.
Thank you sir - much appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts