Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man its been one heck of a past 5 days. We had a huge snowfall on Wednesday, your typical large dump of snow which left at least a solid foot on my driveway. Then, we had a massive system move through our area starting Friday night.

All I can say is thank the stars for my snowblower, its easily paid for itself this winter. Sat morning I went out and did the driveway, took off a foot of snow. Things cleared up and I went out to run some errands. 30 minutes down the highway, round 2 of the storm hit. It went from mostly clear roads to fully covered in 3-4 inches of snow and blizzard conditions in about 3 minutes flat and more falling by the minute. It got to the point where it was difficult to see where the side of the road ended. There's a full forest of green pine trees on both sides of the highway. They're gone.

The Cayenne and I were the only ones to move at a decent clip. Everyone else stayed bunched together crawling at about 25mph. That's the most dangerous situation. Some of the cars have All Seaons and it takes one to spin out to cause a chain reaction. I felt safer moving quicker but at reduced speeds. Cayenne out front about 80 feet where I could see him, and anything he may hit :icon_idea:

It seemed to have tapered off in the evening and I went to the Outlaws for dinner and a movie. On the way it started to snow again. I hadn't been there in a while and holy cow do they have snowbanks. The picture doesn't give a true perspective. That snowblank behind the XT is easily 12ft tall. There's a second higher section to it further back in the picture. It dwarfs the XT, looks like a Miata parked next to a Subarban.

I came over around 6 and left around 11ish. When I came in there was snow on the driveway and you could follow the footsteps to get in. And by foot steps I mean places to step so you don't get snow all over your pants. Coming back out, the footsteps were completly gone. As I walked to the car the snow was deeper than my boots and I had that nice feeling of snow going into books and around my socks.

The drive home was evil. Easily the worst driving conditions for snow I've ever seen in the city. Roads were all covered in deep snow that was hitting the bottom and sometimes front lip , remember I'll full height with OEM suspension for winter now. There were "lessor" :biggrin: cars, minivans stuck everywhere, some halfway in driveways....

On the roads they were plowing but it was falling so fast. Visibility was down to about 40 feet, I was literally afraid I may rear end someone who stopped or spun out (This is why you NEVER EVER stop on the road in whiteout condititons) Coming close to home I drove across an open area, you could hear the wind howling over the sound of my WBR exhaust which was a first.

I came across a poor young lad who put his FWD Chrysler two side wheels in the ditch. I stopped along with someone else and tried to pull him out with my rope. He was too far in to help.

Coming into my neighbourhood at midnight it was obvious I was the last one in. There were no tracks and the only indicator of a road were the snowbanks. Pulling into my road it was deep and only forward motion was keeping me going, in first gear. For the first time ever, my car was stopped pulling up the driveway. And here I am with brand new winter tires on. The snow was at the same level if not higher than the front lip. I had to pull back and forth to make a trail. It took about 3-4 attempts to finally pull into the driveway. You can see in the pics the bottom of the XT was rubbing on the snow, even the exhaust was plowing snow.

This morning I looked outside and you can't even tell I drove on the snow. That much more + drifting has fallen. Gonna go out and snowblow the driveway soon. There is not a single car moving today, I"m willing to bet it wil take 48 hours from now to get the roads reasonably cleared. After this weekend I know we are at , if not passed our record for most snowfall ever in a season since they started recording it.

Pulling into my driveway, the snow is right up to and even higher than the front bumper.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,239 Posts
Thanks for posting. Looks like the Foz did great. And again I point out that you struggled to get to your final resting place in about of 12" of snow.

So to those that say the Foz can get through 2 feet of snow I call BS.

·
Registered
99 forester
391 Posts
I missed a hockey game last night because the county sheriff closed all roads due to snow emergency. we got about 2 feet of snow in 48 hours. i need to dig out the back of my car (live in a condo complex where they plow your parked car in), but I don't think i have a shovel anymore since moving here. good times!

btw - great pics. thanks for sharing.

·
30 Meters
2006 XTi - VF39 Protune!
6,121 Posts
Dang that is some snowfall! I'm sorta happy I moved out of the north (Chicago) area. I seen on the news the area I used to live in got 4 times the average!

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
580 Posts
Wow! :bigeek: Nice narrative and great pix. It was in the 50's and sunny here yesterday. I think, at this point in the winter, I like our weather better.
Stay safe and warm.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports
90 Posts
Brrr...Just when I am trying to gear up for spring you show nice winter photos!

Looks like fun. Kinda.

Brian

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We'll have temps in the 50's soon enough. March is the "anything can happen" month. We could have -30 we could have 60, snowstorm, rain you name it. Here's some pics of the aftermath taken this morning.

Front step looking at the driveway. You'd never know I plowed through this 8 hours ago. That's how much more snow fell overnight. The road is literally impassible now.

The view out the garage door

Perspective for height or rather depth.

Shot down the street. Only tractors and I literally mean a Farmer Brown style tractors were moving. THat's what the commercial guys use to clear snow, nobody bothers with pickups/plow anymore. Even my buddy in a Cherokee got stuck pulling into his driveway last night at 2am coming off shift. That's a Honda Ridgeline stuck down there.

All done !

·
Registered
08 Forester X
134 Posts
Great photos! Do you ever have to fit chains? In Australia, we are lucky to get that depth of snow in a whole ski season never mind a weekend. Look at the bright side, you don't have to cut the lawns!

·
Registered
99 forester
391 Posts
this morning the local ski resort was closed due to the snow. it sounds funny, but the roads to and the lot there hadn't been touched by a plow all weekend.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great photos! Do you ever have to fit chains?
Nope. Its never really "that" bad that we need chains. Today would have been the only day I can recall in my driving experience where I could not have left the house with my car, let alone a Subaru as the snow was so deep.

Ahhhh, i'm so jealous of you!
If we can make a 48 hours run that comes into Canada near Ottawa/Montreal this could all be yours !

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that's where we're going!

Well if that's the case I may be able to help organize a few laps around this.... That's my Legacy GT on a track made on a frozen lake about 1.5hrs north of Ottawa.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L Automagical
315 Posts
Makes me wish we didn't get the warm side of the jet stream on that storm. All we got here was a large amount of rain. I miss real snow like that!

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
357 Posts
a few more pics of the massive winter storm

Hi Folks,
Thought I'd post a few pics of the same snow storm... Also in the Ottawa, Canada area...

Who said hockey is Canada's national sport? Shovelling would be more appropriate!

Here we go:

Saturday evening - lots of fun in the shopping mall parking lot:

...and waking up the next morning:

That is my backyard. That fence is 5 feet tall, and what you see on the left hand side is my BBQ almost completely burried:

After a few hours of shovelling:

As a XC skier, I could not be happier! But my neighbor, who is a golf enthusiast and who hates winter with a passion, is pretty close to punch me in the face if he sees me smiling while he's plowing his drive way...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts