Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
That's nice.
hmm, I wonder if you use wheel spacers thick enough to clear the tire from the spring perch. Then you could put on bigger tires on a foz that don't have those koni types or whatever their called. :biggrin:

All that is probably a bad idea tho. :lol:

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
That's nice.
hmm, I wonder if you use wheel spacers thick enough to clear the tire from the spring perch.
I'm getting ready to add 2 1/2" of lift to the 2" I already have and no,no spacers.

You add lift to the bottom of the strut like this................

Puts the center of the wheel 2 1/5" farther away from the spring perch .
Could just get a 32" tire in that way,would be tight.
I'm gonna run 215/85 15 Interco TSL radials (about 29.4").

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
^ that's a nice and cheap way for the lift itself. How do you do with the driveline then? Lower it...

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
^ that's a nice and cheap way for the lift itself. How do you do with the driveline then? Lower it...
Yes,got 2" of lift on strut tops now and CV's are fine.
Gonna add 2.5" of lift on bottom of struts and 3" of drop in the entire drive train putting the CV's 1/2" back closer to stock angle and having a total of 4.5" of body lift plus increased tire size (about 1.5" on radius) for a total of about 6" of lift.

·
Registered
2009 forester
136 Posts
how exactly do you drop the entire drive tr. so how many inches higher will u be sitting in comparison to the stock sf not including tires. and what is the total including tires. where did u get the lift kit. im very interested in ur ideas??? got me thinking

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
how exactly do you drop the entire drive tr. so how many inches higher will u be sitting in comparison to the stock sf not including tires. and what is the total including tires. where did u get the lift kit. im very interested in ur ideas??? got me thinking
You make spacers (3") for the cross-members (engine,trans)the rear sub-frame,carrier bearing,front mounts on rear trailing arms and rear mounts on front lower A-arm.
The only reason for this is to keep CV angles in their range of usable motion.
2" strut top spacers and 2.5" bottom lift bars.

So broken down you I'll end up with........
1 1/2" drive-train lift.
4.5" body lift.
With tires body will equal about 6" lift.

Pretty high for a Forester

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
In that second pic you can see the engine cross-member spacer.

(and the trailing arm spacers need to be 4.5")

And I made my lift.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
In that second pic you can see the engine cross-member spacer.

(and the trailing arm spacers need to be 4.5")

And I made my lift.
Are you going to be able to clear the front of the rear wheel wells and backs of the front wheel wells? Those seem to be the 2 places that fitment of bigger tires will be a bit difficult (it looks like in the link they just fit them and let them rub).

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
At that point of modding I will trim whatever may rub.
(in those pics it looks to me like they didn't drop the fronts of the trailing arms or use longer ones,either would center the rear wheel in the well)
Once I go down the road of what I'm calling "lift part duex" there's no going back to stock as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
At that point of modding I will trim whatever may rub.
(in those pics it looks to me like they didn't drop the fronts of the trailing arms or use longer ones,either would center the rear wheel in the well)
Once I go down the road of what I'm calling "lift part duex" there's no going back to stock as far as I'm concerned.
Good!

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
I'm getting ready to add 2 1/2" of lift to the 2" I already have and no,no spacers.

You add lift to the bottom of the strut like this................

Puts the center of the wheel 2 1/5" farther away from the spring perch .
Could just get a 32" tire in that way,would be tight.
I'm gonna run 215/85 15 Interco TSL radials (about 29.4").
2nd pic looks like the tire might rub some is that the case?

you my friend are a lift bad a$$!!

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
2nd pic looks like the tire might rub some is that the case?

you my friend are a lift bad a$$!!
Well thanks but that's not my lift.
Those pics are from a lift on an Outback I found on another forum that I'm gonna copy for the second stage of my lift.

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
Well thanks but that's not my lift.
Those pics are from a lift on an Outback I found on another forum that I'm gonna copy for the second stage of my lift.
I wonder if they put some bracing in the open part of teh strut between the top bolt holes .

I kinda wonder how sturdy that really is .. it seems like a lot of torque on the lower more solid attachment bolt

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
I'm sure there's a slug in the top hole for the bolt to cinch up on.
I'm gonna use .250 plate on both sides,will be very strong.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts